Plastic nitrogen widgets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaso

Reaction score
Is it possible to buy nitrogen widgets similar to those in Guinness, so it could be possible to put them into the bottles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea especially considering I am definitely a fan of stouts, unfortunately it looks like it might be a bit of of work. According to good ol' wikipedia "Some canned beers are pressurized by adding liquid nitrogen, which vaporizes and expands in volume after the can is sealed, forcing gas and beer into the widget's hollow interior through a tiny hole—the less beer the better for subsequent head quality."

I am trying to find nitrogen widgets for homebrew, but unfortunately I didn't find them yet, but it would be great to have them if you have stout in bottles.
Maybe Guinness have patented the widgets and nobody else is allowed to produce them, but I am sure there would be much of interest for nitrogen widgets between home brewers.

I am trying to find nitrogen widgets for homebrew, but unfortunately I didn't find them yet, but it would be great to have them if you have stout in bottles.
Maybe Guinness have patented the widgets and nobody else is allowed to produce them, but I am sure there would be much of interest for nitrogen widgets between home brewers.

I don't think you understand how they work. The widgets are just simple pieces of molded plastic, and you could re-use the ones from guinness bottles and cans (or any other beers that have widgets in them like murphy's, boddingtons, etc). The part you're not going to be able to do is buy liquid nitrogen and figure out a way to put very precise amounts of it in the bottle and then quickly cap it before the beer sprays everywhere.

You would have rather flat beer. Nitrogen is used to increase serving pressure without increasing carbonation. Without a very complex bottling setup, the Guinness Draught effect will be nearly impossible to achieve.

Back