Partial Boil. How long can the water sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a newbie brewer, but am just getting back into the hobby. This is actually my first partial boil, however.

Question: After boiling my water, I can't see any reason to be in a rush to cool it. I keep the lid on the pot, let the temp drop naturally, add it to the sanitized carboy, and I am thinking it could just sit there for days, no problem, until I get around to brewing.

Is this correct?

The longer the wort sits the better chance of nasties taking hold in it. Plus you have to remember all those nasty microbial wild yeast and bacteria LOVE warm temps. If you sanitation was top notch you could probably get away with leaving it over night to cool but you are putting yourself at a higher risk.

It's not wort, just the water.

I mean, we have all probably used bottled water that has been sitting on a shelf for weeks and we don't need to sanitize that before adding it.

Is having my pre-boiled and cooled tap water sitting in a carboy for a few days with a rubber stopper or airlock fundamentally any different?

I am talking about doing my wort a day or two later, but just having the water done ahead of time for the partial boil.

Thanks. I figured it would be fine, but I have been out of brewing for awhile and my processes have to be different now as an apartment t dweller with no yard or patio, so I am tending to double check my assumptions as I go forward.

The prompt response was appreciated.

Back