Airlock bubbling over! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhuarc

Reaction score
I know this is a question that has been asked and answered, but I am still concerned. This is my 3rd batch of beer, an Imperial Stout. The airlock is bubbling like crazy and filling with foam and beer! It is actually overflowing.

I took the airlock off one time and washed and rinsed it with sanitized water. I put it back on, and within 30 seconds here is what I saw!

Click to see the video.

http://photos.wendellbeitzel.com/Trips/2011/Videos/18449374_WW5jXd#1507262241_wDX87Bv-A-LB

Is this something that I should consider to be normal, and if so what should I do? Just let it run, or should I try to clean the airlock periodically? I am using a 5 gallon bucket as my primary fermenter without a blow-off tube, and this is within about 24 hours of being placed into the primary.

Thanks for the help everyone!

you need to put a blow off tube on. take the bubbler cap out and put a hose on the stem of the airlock and run it into a jar of sanitizer

It happens. The real fun begins once the hole gets plugged up. Then the pressure builds and eventually your lid violently pops off and makes a big mess.

Ok, thanks for the help! I have taken your suggestions and added a blow-off tube.

Is this just needed because an airlock can't keep up with the quick fermentation at the beginning?

I have read numerous places where people have used them. This is my 4th batch using them as both primary and secondary without any problems. Although this is my first batch with this vigorous of a primary fermentation! :p

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch, a 5-gallon bucket is a little small for a primary fermenter. My primary holds about 7.5 gallons, and I've never needed a blowoff tube.

I use a 6.5 gal bucket for primary (to cheap to by a carboy yet) to prevent the issue of the little hole in the airlock getting blocked when using a blowoff tube, I just put the tube into the grommit where the air lock goes. Its a tight fit but it works.

just a issue of head room as others have said. My 1 tip would be clip off the prongs on the bottom. If you have access to a file or sand paper you can make it pretty. good luck and thanks for the pix.

I believe that my bucket is a 6.5 or 7 gal. It has never been a problem before, but this beer seems to be extra energetic!

Thanks for the help everyone! The blowoff tube to a jar of sanitizer seems to be doing the trick nicely!

Hey guys,

I just had the same problem, same setup, but I'm brewing a Tripel. The airlock was overwhelmed so I now have a hose running out of my bucket to another bucket. How long do I need to keep it this way?

Hey guys,

I just had the same problem, same setup, but I'm brewing a Tripel. The airlock was overwhelmed so I now have a hose running out of my bucket to another bucket. How long do I need to keep it this way?

You're asking a thread that's been done for over three years:rolleyes:

To answer your question, until it calms down, a couple days.
What temperature is it fermenting at?

You're asking a thread that's been done for over three years:rolleyes:

To answer your question, until it calms down, a couple days.
What temperature is it fermenting at?

Thank you. Its fermenting at room temperature, possibly a little bit warmer since I live in the Caribbean and its pretty hot here.

Thank you. Its fermenting at room temperature, possibly a little bit warmer since I live in the Caribbean and its pretty hot here.

Look up swamp cooler and make one!
Fermentation temp is going to be higher then ambient, if it's getting in to the 70's it's too warm (depending on the yeast) producing fusel alcohol and off flavors.

Hey guys,

I would just keep it there the whole time.

Why would you want to remove it? Are you lacking space?

I just had to do the same thing from a rye ipa that I brewed. Went and checked on it and sure as could be it looked like the original pic in this thread. So I rigged up the tube as quick as I could and just left it.

I then racked the beer into the keg last night. In other words there is no reason to move back to the normal airlock and risk contamination.

Back