Need advice on a digital refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabeemech1970

Reaction score
I'm thinking about investing in a digital refractometer has anyone got any advice. What should I be looking for as far as capabilities?

Digital meters do not seem economical to me as you can only use a refractometer on brew day. Once fermentation begins the alcohol will throw off your readings. I would stick with the $40 dollar analog.

I actually find my refractometer to be more useful as the beer is fermenting. I can get an idea of what the beer is doing as it's fermenting and only taking a small sample. The correction algorithm in BeerSmith was withing 1 point of my hydrometer on my last brew.

I rely on the hydrometer for the final reading, however. But even with a hydrometer you still have to pay attention to temperature and to make sure that dissolved CO2 isn't lifting your hydrometer giving you a false reading.

Digital meters do not seem economical to me as you can only use a refractometer on brew day. Once fermentation begins the alcohol will throw off your readings. I would stick with the $40 dollar analog.

No offense to you but why do people keep saying this as if it is common knowledge? There are many PROVEN charts out there that are very simple to use with a refractometer that calculate your ABV after fermentation completes. There are websites and calculators that do this for you with 10 seconds of search time. I have used my refractometer on my last ten batches of AG brew and have used both refractometer and hydrometer and numbers are just about identical. Refractometers are much easier to use and waste a drop of beer which makes sampling during fermentation simple and wastes nothing. Just my 2 cents,

No offense to you but why do people keep saying this as if it is common knowledge? There are many PROVEN charts out there that are very simple to use with a refractometer that calculate your ABV after fermentation completes. There are websites and calculators that do this for you with 10 seconds of search time. I have used my refractometer on my last ten batches of AG brew and have used both refractometer and hydrometer and numbers are just about identical. Refractometers are much easier to use and waste a drop of beer which makes sampling during fermentation simple and wastes nothing. Just my 2 cents,

It's like any other tool. If you don't know when and how to use it, you won't get good results.

Back