Blichmann vs Banjo burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter22

Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any experience with the blichmann burner? I am interested if it is the same burner as the banjo/hurricane or if it is different? I know it is mounted on a nice stainless stand but what is more important to me is the btu capacity and burn efficiency. I am currently doing batches that range around 18 gallons and looking for a new rig to use off natural gas. I know both would need to have their orifices drilled out to around 1/8". Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Blichmann burner. I can't comment if they are the same as the banjo but they certainly look similar. I'm very pleased with mine, I bought it for the stainless and because it was about the same price as any of the other banjo burners I could find.

thanks, yeah they look similar to me, i am just wondering if they are indeed the same. wondering if it would be sufficient for close to 20 gallon boils or if another burner is a better option for that volume.

I have a Blichman thanks to SWMBO. The burner looks like the banjo to me. According to Blichman's site, they developed their own burner, so there might be a difference internally? I dunno. Maybe just the regulator is different - the Blichman uses a 10psi vs. 30 psi for the Banjo. Personally, I don't see the need for a 30 psi regulator, since even at 10psi, when it's cranked up to full, a lot of heat gets wasted.

Blichman's site (click on the BURNER tab)

From thier own testing, it looks like you net about 19,000 BTUs out of the burner. Losing 74% of the 72K BTUs to ambient...

How many BTUs is the Banjo? 210K?

That is a huge difference.

thanks, yeah they look similar to me, i am just wondering if they are indeed the same. wondering if it would be sufficient for close to 20 gallon boils or if another burner is a better option for that volume.

I just got my 20 Gallon Blichmann in this week and fired it up using mu Blichmann toptier burner last night. I got 18 gallons cold from the tap to 190 in no time at all and at 3/4 power. So no worries about doing 20 gallon boils with this burner.

I just got my 20 Gallon Blichmann in this week and fired it up using mu Blichmann toptier burner last night. I got 18 gallons cold from the tap to 190 in no time at all and at 3/4 power. So no worries about doing 20 gallon boils with this burner.

Do you know the temp. of your tap? Do you know what the time was? Is that the 72K burner then?

brewed on Saturday water 44 degrees 17.25 gallons to 193 degrees in 65 minutes. I also got 3 boils off the 1st propane tank and it’s still going.

brewed on Saturday water 44 degrees 17.25 gallons to 193 degrees in 65 minutes. I also got 3 boils off the 1st propane tank and it’s still going.

About 19,720 BTUs to the kettle. I used to get (4) sessions from a tank with the el cheapo 55K BTU turkey burners, that is all that I would expect from any burner.

I have both a Blichmann and a Banjo- they perform the same. The banjo has actually performed better for me. On my third brew day with the Blichmann the regulator hose just erupted into flames and was leaking propane out of the hose....I have yet to hear back from blichmann about this and probably won't.

Was the Blichmann leak and resultant flame large enough to pose a hazard to your surroundings?

I've watched several videos where folks are using burners on the floor of their garage or basement, and I wondered about this.

I'm in the process now of converting my two brand new Blichmann floor-standing burners from high-pressure (10 psi) to low pressure (11" WC). The Blichmanns came with what appears to be a Chinese-made high-pressure regulator (manufacturer is Ningbo Wanan, model number is GYK-5/8; you decide if it's American or not) that looks real nice, especially with the stainless steel clad hose. But I want to run the burners through a couple of Honeywell VR8200A gas valves/pilot lights. So, I'm switching to a single Marshall Excelsior MEGR-9984 2-Stage Automatic Regulator so I can run both burners off of one regulator. This regulator connects to two tanks, switching to a full tank automatically when the first tank is exhausted. The specs say it will put out 230,000 btu/h, so it should have no problem keeping up with a low-pressure banjo burner.

I'm wondering what this apparent "down-grade" to low pressure will do the performance of the Blichmanns... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to get the Bilchmann Burner, esp since I have a Bilchmann kettle. Looking for one now in Europe. However, I am worried about the thermometer that is attached to the kettle. Are these burners safe for the kettle's thermometer? Can I use any burner?

As long as you have a heat shield for the valve/thermometer you'll be fine. The HellFire burner comes with a heat shield. So all in all yes you can use any burner as long as you have a heat shield.

The Brewmometer sits directly above the ball valve on any Blichmann kettle.
If you protect the latter the former goes along for the ride.
They supply a piece of stainless steel sheet with every kettle for this purpose...

Cheers!

Thank you so much for the replies...

ok.. yea.. i did get a piece of metel(heat shield) with my pot. Thank you. I did write a reseller for Blichman but they said they can not get the HellFire burners because it is not CE certified. That sucks. They recommended this: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...m-gas-burner-flame-in-7s#product-alternatives but eh... it looks cheap as hell.

Maybe i should order the Bilchmann from the States. eh. Or do you think this one they recommended is ok? I really want the legs though as i really wanna be able to drain the pan.

Back