Juniper berries in a dark beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polifemo

Reaction score
My dad wants a beer with juniper in it. I don't think I want to attempt anything like a sahti, so I was thinking a dark ale. What other ingredients would blend well with juniper berries? How should I hop it? When should I add the berries? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

maybe make a dark tea out of the berries and add to either primary or secondary, you could sanitize with star san spray crush and add to secondary. as far as ingredients, maybe just make to style (crystal/munich maybe?)

Thanks, risk. How would you hop it? Should I leave out the aroma hops to let the juniper come through? A clean fermenting yeast as well, perhaps?

I got some dried juniper berries online, and added several uncrushed to the last few minutes of a juniper ginger amber. Cant taste them at all.

I got some dried juniper berries online, and added several uncrushed to the last few minutes of a juniper ginger amber. Cant taste them at all.

Odd. This is my first time using jumiper and when I bottled it today I could totally taste it alot. Maybe it needs a little time to die down. Although I crushed mine and added them and you left them whole.

Thanks for the ideas... I'll go easy on the juniper but crush them before they go in at flameout. A touch of a delicate aroma hop like Tettnanger at the end sounds good.
Would you all use an estery English yeast or a clean American strain?

Back