Foaming problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdrinkbeer

Reaction score
I'm having a real problem with foam from 1 of my kegs. I'm running 12 psi at 40 degrees to maintain carbonation. I've installed 6' of beer line based on the calculation of head pressure + 5 divided by 3 (3/16" hose restriction). I've even tried a different tap on my kegerator. I also have 2 other beers on tap that I am not having any trouble with. Please help!!

12 psi is quite high for serving. I would try bringing the PSI down to 8, maybe even 6 to see if that helps any. Just remember to bleed the CO2 in the keg as well to ensure that the kegs pressure is really at the serving pressure needed. 6' of beer line should be perfect for you.

Also, you by any chance using picnic taps? If so, remember to really start it quickly. Slowly opening the tap always makes my beer foam. Let her rip!

I agree. Less psi, or longer lines. I run about 12psi, but have 8 feet of 3/16 line going to picnic taps. I get a good pour.

I don't use picnic taps. I have a fridge/kegerator with the taps in the door.

I have read several articles/charts that state I need 12 psi head pressure if I maintain 40 degrees to keep my beer carbonated to the level it's supposed to be at. Is this bogus info?

I have a sneaky suspicion (through blind tasting) my keg possibly leaked co2 and my beer went flat. When this happened I get alot of co2 bubbles collecting at the beer out fitting in the hose and at the back of the tap. I double checked for leaks and found nothing and am in the process of trying to recarbonate to see if that fixes my problem.

Check out the attached link. This is where I got this info.

Welcome to my home draught dispensing page!

I have read several articles/charts that state I need 12 psi head pressure if I maintain 40 degrees to keep my beer carbonated to the level it's supposed to be at. Is this bogus info?

No it's not bogus. What are your carbing techniques? It may be over carbed.
Are there bubbles in your serving lines?

Yes, there are bubbles in my serving lines. I don't think it's over carbonated though. It definitely tasted flat the last time I messed with it.

As far as carbonating techniques, I typically put it in the fridge after fermantation and let it chill overnight. Then attach co2 and let it sit till carbonated. I also have 2 other kegs on the same regulator that I'm not having any problems with.

Yes, there are bubbles in my serving lines. I don't think it's over carbonated though. It definitely tasted flat the last time I messed with it.

If it's set at 12psi and co2 is breaking out in the lines it probably is over carbonated. Because breakout occurs when the pressure in the tank is greater than the line pressure. That's why you shouldn't serve at lower pressures than your initial carb setting. If it was flat it shouldn't foam. I would unhook the co2, pull the pressure release until the tank is empty. Let it sit for 20 minutes and pull again, listen for pressure being released, if it does, repeat several times and let settle overnight. Then I would try it again. Be patient, if the other kegs are working properly it's something simple. Also if you take this advice, I would also thoroughly clean the lines and tap while your beer is sitting, any little piece of crud stuck in there can cause foaming.

Here's a good chart for carbing. Carbonation Table - Kegerators.com :mug:

After weeks of troubleshooting I finally have determined it is my keg causing my foaming problem. I transferred kegs yesterday and to my delight my foaming problem has gone away :)

Any idea what might be the problem with the keg??

I'm having a real problem with foam from 1 of my kegs. I'm running 12 psi at 40 degrees to maintain carbonation. I've installed 6' of beer line based on the calculation of head pressure + 5 divided by 3 (3/16" hose restriction). I've even tried a different tap on my kegerator. I also have 2 other beers on tap that I am not having any trouble with. Please help!!

Check out the attached link. This is where I got this info.

Welcome to my home draught dispensing page!

I'm not sure where he gets his info but typical 3/16" beverage line loses 2.7 psi per foot rather than the 3 psi he states. Also the formula should be:

L = P( -(H x .5) – 1 ) / R

Where:
L = length of beer line in feet
P = pressure set of regulator
H = total height from center of keg to faucet in feet
R = resistance of the line from the following table
1 = residual pressure remaining at faucet (this can be increased to 2 if you need to increase pressure to increase dispense rate)

edit: Micromatic says 2.2 psi/foot and other sources say 2.7psi/foot for 3/16" beverage line

Back