Old kits and Old Malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quackkills

Reaction score
Anyone every find a couple of old malt can kits(like 5-8 years past best date) in the back corner of the basement and went ahead and used them?? Any problems??? Don't want to waste my time if they are screwed already. I also found a 60 lb bucket of Amber Malt extract that was passed on to me that is at least that old....still new and sealed with a very small crack in the top of the lid......any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!!!

Quackkills

Yes. I bought my brew kit from a man who received it as a gift but never used it. There were 3 cans of extract that had expiration dates over 9 years ago. As a total n00b and no money for fresh ingredients (though I did spring for a fresh package of dry yeast) I figured why not try one and see what comes of it? So I used one of the cans about 6 weeks ago along with some DME that I am assuming was about the same age, and got a pretty tasty beer out of it.

The can shows a pretty yellow beer, but my results are a beautiful dark reddish brown beer. I am not sure what it is SUPPOSED to taste like but the beer tastes like a strong brown ale with a coffee aftertaste. Since it turned out as good as it did I'll save and use the other two cans soon.

Go for it. Not much to lose as I see it, other than a bit of time and effort which to me would just be gaining experience and knowledge. Good luck with it!

Back