Splitting a 5 gallon batch into 2 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience, recommendations, or thoughts on splitting a 5 gallon full wort boil into 2 separate 5 gallon batches. I'm thinking this would be similar to or replicate boiling a 2.5 gallon extract batch and adding it to a single 5 gallon fermenter.

a 2.5 extract boil is "concentrated". The fermentables are calculated on a 5G batch.

In order for that to work, you would need to double your fermentables for the 5 G boil, then split it, right? If it is a normal 5G batch, then you will dilute it by splitting it.

It may be a little tough to split it exactly though. You're really better off using two seperate stock pots, and boiling them at the same time.

Its not the amount of Wort thats important, its the concentration of fermentables in there. As long as you use twice the ingredients, split it evenly, and fill the primaries with water to the same mark you should end up with the same beer. It would help our a lot if you had primaries that were the same shape and size so you could eyeball it easier. --or volume labeled like mine are...

No difference, just be careful in calculating your bittering. I only did this once, with a red ale, as a dry hopping experiment.

Back