mashing ahead of time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew this weekend. I would like to run my partial mash tonight, but wait until tomorrow sometime to brew.

Ideally, I would stick the mash liquor in a fridge, but I don't have the space. So, since I'm going to boil it anyways, any reason not to leave it just covered on the counter top overnight? I'll be collected about 3 gallons of liquor from the mash.

Grain contains a ton of lactobacillus and other bugs. If you leave your mash over night, it will probably sour. I don't know how much in that short time though. 48 hours smells like straight vomit. Also, you will have a very thin beer unless you mash out.

I'm not looking to leave the mash overnight, just the pre-boiled liquid (wort?).

You'd have to bring the wort to a boil to kill the lacto and other bugs first. You don't want to let unhopped fresh wort sit out overnight.

That makes sense - Lacto. et al. could spoil the wort before its boiled. The next day I would be boiling already soured wort. I'd kill the bugs then, but it would already be too late.

I guess I'll wait to mash just before I brew.

As I recall there is a recent thread about mashing the night before and boiling the next day, which I've done. No one had any objections to that. So what's with the reservations on a partial mash?

I've left a kettle of wort sitting in the kitchen overnight, the biggest issue was it takes forever to bring the temp back up and get to a boil.

Back