Pid Help!! Asap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
OKAY, I bought a PID from AUBER INST.

I have my control box wired up and ready to go! Everything works, EXCEPT my friggin BK!!! The PID is powered up, ready to go... the thermocouple is doing its job but I cannot get power to my element!

Does it matter what wire takes the power INTO the SSR and which is the OUTPUT? The terminals are lettered "L" and "T". The manual sayes nothing.

Also, my PID is in MANUAL mode, at 100%. Alarm 1 is LIT, MANUAL is LIT, and OUT is LIT. NO POWER TO MY ELEMENT!! So what gives?

Pol,

In set up mode do you have it set up as the following
At set to 1?

Mike

On any controller you are dealing with voltage and current. You need to prove that each part of the circuit does in fact work. So I would isolate each part and make each one works by itself. Remember that each output can only sink or source so much current and you must determine if those needs are being met.

OUT is LIT. NO POWER TO MY ELEMENT!!

If the LED is on, it should be driving the output. I'd use your newly acquired multimeter to double check that your getting +12VDC across the + and - terminals of the SSR. That may rule out the PID (and all of the wiring coming from it).

HEY I GOT IT!

Before I read the last message, I went out and took off the switch plate and started testing my 240VAC 30A switch... when touching the poles I was not reading any voltage.

When I tested ONE leg at a time I got 120VAC... OH DUH. I had my 240VAC swtich that sends ONE leg of power to my SSR and ONE leg of power to my outlet, powered off of the same HOT from the main line!

So, I powered my 240VAC switch with (2) separate hots from the main distribution block and tada... we are boiling water!

Thanks guys!

It's usually something simple and often overlooked. Just going over the circuit and checking voltages will find the problem. I don't get too excited any more when I have a malfunction because I know that I will eventually find it by isolating and then checking that each part works by itself. Good going.

Back