Hop package question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morebeer sells them in O2 barrier, zip seal bags... depends on the packaging.
Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I typically vacuum seal any hops that I don't use a full bag of.

assuming you don't have a vacuum sealer, double bag them and put them in the freezer. the deep freeze if you have one. to me the fridge freezers have more "smells" in them and don't stay as cold. dried hops are sensitive to light and oxygen just like most herbs, foods etc...

all hops are harvested at basically one time of the year....so even if you get fresh off the vine 2008 hops now....next summer when you buy hops they will be the same batch. the hop company/suppliers have to store them too.

Perfect. That's the info I was looking for. I was really worried that the hops I just baught and will be using for tomarrow's brew that the extra will go stale in a week or two before I get a chance to use them again.

I typically vacuum seal any hops that I don't use a full bag of.

Same here. I vacuum seal and then put 'em in the freezer until the next batch... I try and plan the next batch(es) around what I already have so I don't just keep on collecting hops and so I use them as fresh as possible.

-Tripod

I've got some Simcoe plugs from 2006 that look and smell great but I'm scared to use them. I have them wrapped up in plastic wrap then tin foil, then a ziplock bag, and more tin foil.

I've got some Simcoe plugs from 2006 that look and smell great but I'm scared to use them. I have them wrapped up in plastic wrap then tin foil, then a ziplock bag, and more tin foil.

Use them! Trust your nose. :D

But maybe just for a flavor/aroma addition.

That's pretty how I use Simcoe- some bittering (as in Yoop's 60 min DFH clone), but mostly for the wonderful tangeriney flavor and aroma. Pair it up with Amarillo and it's outta this world.

meh...I was thinking the opposite, not using them for flavor/aroma due to their age. Also, since they are not in vaccum sealed bags but just in my fridge which is normally a dedicated beer fridge but one day I found some muscles marinara somebody put in there and I'm thinking the hops absorbed some flavors over time.

Back