Hop Swap Feeler Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkristofo

Reaction score
So many of us have freezers filled to the brim with hops. While most have had the foresight to stock up on varieties that we use in our regular brews, there's the occassional odd-ball recipe that calls for something not in the freezer. This leads to a dilemma with 2 options, use another variety, or pay up the wazoo for what you're looking for.

I propose that we start a "Hop Swap" thread. This thread's purpose is to see if there would be sufficient interest, and to figure out the logistics of how we could do it. Initially I envision a thread where people post up their inventory (or at least what they'd be willing to give up) as well as what they want (if anything). Details about the exchange could go about over PM.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

Cheers,

Kris

So many of us have freezers filled to the brim with hops. While most have had the foresight to stock up on varieties that we use in our regular brews, there's the occassional odd-ball recipe that calls for something not in the freezer. This leads to a dilemma with 2 options, use another variety, or pay up the wazoo for what you're looking for.

I propose that we start a "Hop Swap" thread. This thread's purpose is to see if there would be sufficient interest, and to figure out the logistics of how we could do it. Initially I envision a thread where people post up their inventory (or at least what they'd be willing to give up) as well as what they want (if anything). Details about the exchange could go about over PM.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

Cheers,

Kris
Sounds like a good plan to me, I'd be interested.

Sounds like a great idea, but I may wait until the fall and the new crop has come in/people have stocked themselves silly. I am sure that even among us who have stocked up, most of us may be down to only a couple of our favorite variates. If we start the swap after the harvest we may have the maximum variety to swap among ourselves.

Sounds like a great idea, but I may wait until the fall and the new crop has come in/people have stocked themselves silly. I am sure that even among us who have stocked up, most of us may be down to only a couple of our favorite variates. If we start the swap after the harvest we may have the maximum variety to swap among ourselves.

This could also become a never ending thread. So I am sure even after the harvest this thread would still be around. I have lots of 4 different kinds but having some variety would be nice too.

I would suggest having a running total with everyones name and what they have to trade and whenever you post or complete a trade you would update the list.

So:

SporkD2 - hops hops hops
Someoneelse - hops hops hops

This could become a massive list that everyone will be responsible for updating themselves.

I would suggest having a running total with everyones name and what they have to trade and whenever you post or complete a trade you would update the list.

So:

SporkD2 - hops hops hops
Someoneelse - hops hops hops

This is a good idea as well, but i see a bit of confusion starting with simultaneous posts, people being responsible for updating their inventories in an ongoing thread, searching through a bunch of chat to see if someone has posted something new...

what might be easier and less prone to error would be just compile a list of people willing to participate, and have them put the variates and amounts either in their sig or on their profile.

An even better way(but will require a bit of help from tex) is have a link to a page listing all the varieties of hops, and people can put or remove their names under each variety they are willing to trade. This way, someone looking can just click on what they want, see a list of holders, and then PM them to see if a deal can be worked out.

more complicated, but I think there might be less errors than trying to keep up with a thread.

I think the easiest way would be for those who want to participate, put your inventory of what you want to trade here. Then put what you want and the folks that want to trade just pm that person.

Im a member of a forum called The Shave Den. What the moderators there did was start a separate forum called "The Medicine Cabinet". Each member basically starts a thread with their screen name and a catchy title. In the thread, you can put your entire stock of soaps, creams, razors, aftershves etc, or just what you are willing to put up for trade/sale. Members who have done this usually post a link to their cabinet in their sinature. That way, any member can look at your "cabinet" and propose a trade instead of listing a WTB in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

This could be a good option for the hop trade idea. Members can essentially keep up a list of ingredients they have in stock that they would be willing to trade. A list of links can be kept in a sticky somewhere.

LMFAO... a forum about shaving and swapping shaving supplies? Lol... I guess people will never lose interest unless they start taking estrogen or something.

Im a member of a forum called The Shave Den. What the moderators there did was start a separate forum called "The Medicine Cabinet". Each member basically starts a thread with their screen name and a catchy title. In the thread, you can put your entire stock of soaps, creams, razors, aftershves etc, or just what you are willing to put up for trade/sale. Members who have done this usually post a link to their cabinet in their sinature. That way, any member can look at your "cabinet" and propose a trade instead of listing a WTB in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

This could be a good option for the hop trade idea. Members can essentially keep up a list of ingredients they have in stock that they would be willing to trade. A list of links can be kept in a sticky somewhere.

LOL - The internet truely does have everything. A shaving forum. who knew.

I have a lot of Warrior that I would trade for Centennial, Cascade or Simcoe.

Eastside

Damn! I wish this thread was started last week when I still needed Warrior, ended up having to substitute. I would have gladly traded some cascade....

I would be interested in a hop sharing thread since I have a fair amount of a few different varieties that I'd be willing to trade

I have 16 oz. of Warrior if you need for another batch, let me know. What other varieties do you have?

Eastside

What about homegrown hops? Should we start a thread for those too? That would be awesom. I have fuggles and cascade growing nicely.

- WW

Why not see if the mods will sticky this and get going, just post what we have and keep our own stuff updated

Back