All Hops in one Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew an extract IPA and need to add about 4 different hops during boil.....Is it ok to add 1st hop at 60 min in a long muslin bag , then and the reamaining 3 hop additions (at their appropriate times) to the same bag so ultimately all hops would remain in the bag during the 60 min boil?

thanks

Mike

I haven't brewed yet, but from many months of research and watching videos, talking to fellow brewers, Yes you can put them all in one bag. Technically the bag is for easy removal of the used hops.

Only if it's one of those large paint strainer type bags folded over the top of the kettle,or hangin from a hop spider. I use muslin bags,& they tend to wanna shrink back to a smaller shape. Tightening around the hops & making ball. Albeit a loose one. So a muslin grain bag with 4oz+ of hops in it may not work as intended. Too much hops in too little space may not allow good water flow through.
1 ounce per hop sock is different than cramming a ton into a small area.

Good Idea will rolll with that...but ultimately for flavor and such it is ok to have all hops remain in one bag right ?

ONLY if you're using a paint strainer bag to line the BK with in order to remove them easilly. A tight bag will restrict flow around a huge 4oz+ ball of hop gunk. What I mean is,they should be free to move around in the boil,but the bag as a kettle liner. Watch NB's brewing TV for biab to see what I mean.
Under normak conditions,when you're just gunna bag'em & toss'em in,then no more than one ounce per bag,or less efficiency will result. That's the other end of the spectrum.

Yes, you're supposed to leave the hops in the boil for the duration of the boil. A big mesh bag just makes it easier. You can wrap the bag opening around the kettle handle and add the hops as necessary. Just make sure the end of the bag is no where near the flames, which can wrap around the kettle and scorch the bag.

Having the hops flow around isn't the biggest issue with using a single bag. It's not getting burned! I've used one of those kit steeping bags and they get pretty hot. I open them with scissors or pliers. It's not the best way to do it.

Yes they're hot,but that's not the issue here. He wants ALL HIS HOPS IN ONE BAG. I say you need flow through,so use a big paint strainer bag wrapped around the top of the kettle. And like I do,a cake cooling rack on the botton to keep the bag off the heat & get better circulation. This is the only way that works. You can't take a hop sock & put 4oz in it,tie it off & dump it in. Not gunna flow worth a dang,get it? Utilization.

Yes they're hot,but that's not the issue here. He wants ALL HIS HOPS IN ONE BAG. I say you need flow through,so use a big paint strainer bag wrapped around the top of the kettle.

The big paint strainer bag is a good idea. What about using cone paint strainer bags?

I used bags for the first few months - until I couldn't find it while brewing. I just threw the hops in and haven't looked back.

Back