Looking for something between a Blond and an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
I don't have much experience creating my own recipes and am a little gun shy about tweaking someone else's recipe so I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance.

I'm looking for an all grain recipe that has more malt character than a Blond, something closer to the malt character of an APA, but falls in the 25-30 IBU range. (Would that be a Golden Ale?)

I've had great results with the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, so I was thinking about just taking one of the APA recipes and scaling down the IBUs from 40 to, say, 28. Is it that simple or would I need to also make adjustments to the grain bill to keep it from turning out funky?

Any tips, or even a recipe that you think would give me what I'm looking for, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

Here's my blonde ale. I scaled it up from about 3.5%abv to 4%abv.

You can sub all amarillo or all citra, and omit crystal if you like. Flavor additions are not necessary - This recipe gives you a bright hop nose without being herbally or bitter.

Mash 155
30-35 IBU's
OG 1.042
FG 1.012
Yeast: SO4

9lbs Pilsner
.5lbs Honey Malt
.5 Carapils (carafoam)

1.25 oz Amarillo @60
1oz Galaxy @0
.5ozCrystal @0
.5oz Citra @0

Dry Hop 5days
1oz Galaxy
1oz Amarillo

I have done a few beers with only Maris Otter for malt. Fantastic character, worked well with both recipes. One was ~35 IBU (Willamette) the other ~75 IBU (Columbus). Excellent head retention and lace. My first 10 gallon batch will be one of those beers.

ForumRunner_20120906_141913.jpg

Thanks for the replies and the recipe! When I see a recipe described as being 'well balanced' I always assumed that changing the IBUs significantly would result in a beer that's 'unbalanced,' or at least no longer as well balanced as before. But it sounds like if you're able to take one grain bill and change the IBUs from 35 to 75, I shouldn't get into too much trouble taking an APA recipe with 40 IBUs down to 25 or 30 IBUs. Is it that simple or am I missing something?

I'm a hop head, so balance and style adherance aren't the highest priorities. My palate is.

Back