Good Cold Weather Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespa

Reaction score
So I live in PA and my house will be colder for the next few months. I only have 2 batches under my belt so far, a California Lager, and a Pumpkin Ale. (lager I just bottled and Pumpkin is in secondary for a few days so far but the sample was amazing).

I want to brew again! Since I don't yet have very good control over my temperatures, what would be a great beer to brew next? The area I store my beer in can range from 55 - 65 degrees F (maybe cooler if I turn down the house heat or more if I turn it up). I love all beer types so I am really interested in what are the best for this time of year?

Thanks!

60F is perfect for almost all ales. If you've got areas of your house in the neighborhood of 50F, you could ferment lagers and pilsners.

So I live in PA and my house will be colder for the next few months. I only have 2 batches under my belt so far, a California Lager, and a Pumpkin Ale. (lager I just bottled and Pumpkin is in secondary for a few days so far but the sample was amazing).

I want to brew again! Since I don't yet have very good control over my temperatures, what would be a great beer to brew next? The area I store my beer in can range from 55 - 65 degrees F (maybe cooler if I turn down the house heat or more if I turn it up). I love all beer types so I am really interested in what are the best for this time of year?

Thanks!

Bite the bullet now and buy an STC-1000 ($25) and a heat belt ($25) on eBay and you then have half the temperature worry under your control . You will be ok for ales and can think about adding a fridge for cool temperature brewing of lagers further down the track.

Bite the bullet now and buy an STC-1000 ($25) and a heat belt ($25) on eBay and you then have half the temperature worry under your control . You will be ok for ales and can think about adding a fridge for cool temperature brewing of lagers further down the track.

Thanks, I Googled the STC-1000 and the heat belt. There is no shortage of new things to learn! While the weather is cooler I think I will try another lager as it won't be any easier during the summer.

You could do a California Common - the yeast (Wyeast 2112) performs in pretty much that temperature range.

I've always wanted to experiment with that yeast but haven't been in the right situation yet.

Back