Anyone use Beer Tools Pro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a batch sparge schedule and am having a tough time figuring out what to do. Here is what I'm trying to replicate...

Single infusion 160* with 2 qt/lb
Target mash of 152 for 60 mins
No mash out
Collect 3-3.5 gals
Add 3.5 gals for sparge at 170*
wait 15 mins
collect

What exactly are you asking?
Need to know the total weight grains you are using and the version of Beer Tools Pro. Looks like you are shooting for about 7 - 7.5 gal preboil volume.

What I do is a:
1) Mash in step at 1.5 - 2 qts/lb
2) Sacc Rest 60+ min
3) mash out depending on weight and volumes needed
4) Separation Step:
a) First runnings with 0 volume added and 0 residual
b) Second runnings with 3.5 gals added and 0 residual

Now I adjust step 1 or 3 volumes so that step 4a will equal 3.5 gal with 0 residual as I am always shooting for 7 gal preboil volume.

I am using the latest version and am still trying to figure it out as well. I came close with my last attempt, I will post later with as good as a how-to as I can.

I got it - thanks. A guy from the green board helped me out. I was a bit confused on how to set up the schedule and to top it off, it's going to be my first AG.

We'll see how she goes!!

I abandoned Beer Tools Pro, This program is just to tough to use when I'm half lit and Beer Smith can be operated in the dark and is much more user friendly. I probably would not have purchased it if I would have been able to test drive it prior to the purchase. (Probably why they don't let you test drive?).:tank:

I found BTP a bit difficult to figure out for batch sparging at first as well- but once you get it, it works great and is very easy to adjust your volumes how you want them. My first 24 hours with it, I was about to ask for my $ back, when it suddenly all came together. Once you realize you can adjust your volumes, run-offs and residuals to fit your needs it works very well. For instance, I keep my run-offs the same volume to equal my total volume (so I can batch sparge with two equal run-off collections). This means I may need to adjust the thickness of my mash-in, it's difficult to explain but at some point I had an epiphany and it works well for me now.

Back