Belgian Tripel "too clean" where to start improving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
my tripel, fermented with WPL570 doesn't have a lot of the "belgian" flavor profile. I can see a few possible places I could have done things differently, but could use some advice. first, I just pitched the liquid yeast...did not do a starter, and aerated by shaking the carboy (2 strikes?) after fermentation had been going for a day or so, I moved my carboy upstairs near a heating vent to increasing the temp tofruitiness and phenolic characteristics. So, where should I start to improve this beer the next time? starter, aeration w/ O2, ferment warmer earlier, better ferment temp control? I realize all of the above would be best...just wondering which elements have greatest impact.

I suspect your biggest shortcoming with this particular brew is too low of a fermentation temperature. When you think yeastie Belgians.. think 80F for the fermentation temp if you can get it that high. Do you happen to know what you fermented at?

Also, did you use any spices? Those tend to help with that nice Belgian profile.

Under-pitching would actually make it less clean. You'd get more esters and phenols, possibly some bad ones as well. And if you moved the carboy to a warm spot after one day, that would aid yeast flavors. If I had to guess a problem with your beer from your process, I would have thought it would be the opposite of being overly clean.

I just opened a golden strong I did with 570 last night with great result. The key to getting this strain to attenuate all the way, and give you thoes great esters, is temp. sounds to me like you had too low of a fermentation temp. I take mine up to about 80F or so, higher with some strains.

I suspect your biggest shortcoming with this particular brew is too low of a fermentation temperature. When you think yeastie Belgians.. think 80F for the fermentation temp if you can get it that high. Do you happen to know what you fermented at?

Also, did you use any spices? Those tend to help with that nice Belgian profile.
Fermentation temperatures that are too cool may be at the heart of the matter, but we don't know what temperatures the OP pitched and fermented at. Furthermore, I disagree with the 80F fermentation temperature recommendation, except for certain yeast strains (like WY3724-Belgian Saison) that are truly supposed to get that high. For most Belgian yeasts, the general consensus (on this board and by the brewers in "Brew Like a Monk") seems to be: start around 65F and let the temperature rise to the mid-high 70s. Much of the alcohol is produced at a lower temperature, which minimizes the production of fusels. But, letting the temperature ramp up after a day or two still allows you to get the ester profile desired.

post ended up in the wrong thread.... opps...
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22special+b%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.mandriva:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a"][/ame]

Fermentation temperatures that are too cool may be at the heart of the matter, but we don't know what temperatures the OP pitched and fermented at. Furthermore, I disagree with the 80F fermentation temperature recommendation, except for certain yeast strains (like WY3724-Belgian Saison) that are truly supposed to get that high. For most Belgian yeasts, the general consensus (on this board and by the brewers in "Brew Like a Monk") seems to be: start around 65F and let the temperature rise to the mid-high 70s. Much of the alcohol is produced at a lower temperature, which minimizes the production of fusels. But, letting the temperature ramp up after a day or two still allows you to get the ester profile desired.

I understand the objection to the 80F. I find myself confused about this sometimes. There is a difference in what the maker of the yeast recommend, what I read about Belgian brewing history (which implies temps), and what I have seen other very successful brewers do with their Belgian brews. I know one guy that shoots for over 80F in some of his Belgians! It's probably best to stick to what the maker suggests and experiment from there.

Thanks for mentioning the fusels. I forgot to mention that when I mentioned 80F.

I understand the objection to the 80F. I find myself confused about this sometimes. There is a difference in what the maker of the yeast recommend, what I read about Belgian brewing history (which implies temps), and what I have seen other very successful brewers do with their Belgian brews. I know one guy that shoots for over 80F in some of his Belgians! It's probably best to stick to what the maker suggests and experiment from there.

Thanks for mentioning the fusels. I forgot to mention that when I mentioned 80F.
I follow you. :mug:

I have also read of some breweries letting their Belgians get into the low 80s. But, as far as I can tell, even those breweries pitch in the mid-high 60s, which is important.

I follow you. :mug:

I have also read of some breweries letting their Belgians get into the low 80s. But, as far as I can tell, even those breweries pitch in the mid-high 60s, which is important.

That's probably the detail I've been missing. I'll keep that in mind next time I brew a Belgian and see it how works out.

Scott

I see that.

Interesting that JZ's WLP equivalent has an entirely different temp range. I wonder if it's really the same strain, or just something else to use from WL if you cannot get 3724.

Scott

Bump for the pitch at 65 and let rise to mid-high 70's. I pitch at 65 and ferment in a small fridge that I set them temperature control to 80 on. It typically will raise on its own to 77 or 78 at peak krausen. Temp control just makes sure it never goes above 80. Would never ferment in a room with ambient at 80 since it generates so much heat on its own. I'd try wrapping with a couple of blankets in a 72 degree room and letting it retain a little of the heat it generates.

Paul

I can say that I now have lots of experience fermenting with the Chimay strain and it is some touchy stuff. It takes a long time to start up usually, once it does start it up it goes nuts....then if you let it get to warm too early, it can/will stall and drop out. So my best advice when brewing a belgian beer is this.

1. do not add your sugar to the boil

2. pitch cool, 65-70 degrees and let the maltose based fermentation start to wind down in the cooler fermentation temps

3. move the fermenter to a warmer place and start to incrementatally add your sugar based fermentables. I have a tripel right now that is bubbling away at 78 degrees to finish up...I am fully expecting 1.090 OG to finish at 1.010 or so. The airlock CO2 smells like a fruit basket...I can't wait to drink it.

You will be amazed how adding some inverted sugar syrup, or just powdered dextrose will literally wake the yeast up in minutes...almost instantly.

Back