Cooler MLT Temp Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to insert a temp probe into my 100qt Extreme cooler through the outside wall. My question is how much of the probe needs to be in the mash to give acurate readings. I have a Blichmann Brew Mometer with a 5" stem and wondered if it would give me acurate mash temp readings. By the time I run it through the wall and fittings I'm probably looking at 2" of the probe being in the mash. Would I be better to buy the 12" stem thermometers and using a compression fitting? Can you get a compression fitting small enough to go on the small stem probes? I want to put it through the outside to keep from opening the cooler to take temp readings.

I wouldn't put a thermometer in a cooler mashtun. You'll only get temps from one spot. You'll be better off with a stick type that you can check in multiple spots to ensure it's mixed thoroughly.
Once you have your temperature even and to where you want, you shouldn't open the cooler again unless you're doing another temp infusion (where you'll want to check multiple spots again) or you vorlauffing.

I want to insert a temp probe into my 100qt Extreme cooler through the outside wall. My question is how much of the probe needs to be in the mash to give acurate readings. I have a Blichmann Brew Mometer with a 5" stem and wondered if it would give me acurate mash temp readings. By the time I run it through the wall and fittings I'm probably looking at 2" of the probe being in the mash. Would I be better to buy the 12" stem thermometers and using a compression fitting? Can you get a compression fitting small enough to go on the small stem probes? I want to put it through the outside to keep from opening the cooler to take temp readings.

Here ya go: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02/15/add-thermometer-probe-to-hlt-mlt-cooler/

Back