Yeast question + bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansastransplantvictim

Reaction score
I made my first two HB's this past Sunday, and they are vigorously fermenting away in my basement while I relax and watch south park. I went with the Palace Bitter, and Palilalia IPA recipes from TCJOHB. I used Wyeast 1335 Brit Ale II for the bitter and Wyeast 1056 American for the IPA. What have your experiences been with this yeast? Has anyone used them for these styles? I'm not planning to use a secondary for either brews. So when should I bottle, should I bottle after I get the same gravity on different days? Or do I get the same gravity readings on different days and then age for another week or two? Or does it depend on what kind of beer your making?

I'm sure these are questions that have been asked before... Thank you in advance for answering them!

Cheers

I don't have any experience with those two yeasts, but a good rule of thumb that I use for ale yeasts is 1-2-3; as in:
1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary
3 weeks in bottles

Since you aren't going to do a secondary, I'd shoot for about 3 weeks in primary. I'm sure others have differing opinions, but that would be playing it safe.

Unless your yeast is doing some funny stuff, the 1-2-3 should be a good minumum before you start drinking a batch. Of course I like to keep my pipeline stocked up enough to leave a beer at least a month in bottles, and I usually go 2 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary, but that is just what works well with my schedule. It is also perfectly acceptable to go longer in secondary.

Since you have TCJOHB (one of my favorite books I've found yet) I think you know that the most important step is to RDWHAHB.:mug:

Welcome to the forum!!

I think the basic rule of thumb is to leave it in primary for as long as you can stand, but no longer than 4 weeks. I always leave my primary going for 3 weeks and only take the gravity reading for keeping records. The only thing to be careful of is if you need to dry-hop ... then you shouldn't leave those hops in for more than ~2 weeks and would need to time your bottling accordingly. Congrats on brewing your first two!

Back