HOw to start siphon without your mouth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadaBrews

Reaction score
I just bought my brew kit yesterday and am planning on brewing today, but i just realized i dont know how to siphon the brew out of te primary into the carboy. How do you start the siphon action without sucking with your mouth, as that might sour the batch?
thanks

Do a search for siphoning on this forum - this has been discussed before. A short answer:

You can buy an autosiphon designed to do exactly what you're asking.

OR

You can fill the siphon tube completely with water, put your thumbs over the ends, attach the hose, and let the water in the tube start the siphon for you.

OR

I've used a sanitized turkey baster to successfully start a siphon as well.

Gargle with some scotch or vodka before siphoning, or better yet, get an AutoSiphon. This thing rocks!

auto-siphon.jpg

Get it here

Here is what Palmer says...

John Palmer said:
All parts of the siphon (racking cane, tubing, and cutoff valve or bottle filler) need to be sanitized, especially the inside. After sanitizing, leave the siphon full of sanitizer and carefully place the racking cane in your beer. Release the clamp/valve or your clean-and-sanitized thumb and allow the sanitizer to drain into a jar. Make sure the outlet is lower than the fermenter, or you will drain the sanitizer into your beer.

As the sanitizer drains, it will draw the beer into the siphon and you can stop and transfer the outlet to your bottling bucket or bottles. Thus you can siphon without risk of contamination.

My advice - buy an auto siphon. They're pretty inexpensive and make like A LOT easier

Simple. Put your fermenting container on a table ( or higher than the container you are transfering to). Put your syphoning tube into your beer. Allow the tube to fill with beer, then place your thumb over the end you are going to pour from. Making sure that the other end does not come out of the beer, and that your pouring end is lower than the beer level in your fermenter, release your thumb. Your beer will now pour out. Have fun!:)

(You do not need to put your hand into the beer, just keep 4 or 5 inches spare on the end you need to cover with your thumb for you to hold. When you draw the tube out to pour the vacumn you hace created will keep the beer in the tube.)

I'd say about as versitile. The autosiphon can also be used to grab a sample when used as a 'wine theif' of sorts.

I wish I would have seen Walker's siphoning solution before last night, but I didn't, so I ended up buying an auto-siphon, and it is great, I have to say. Easily the best $10 I've spent in this hobby so far.

a paper napkin ... maybe an ounce of cheap vodka ... place the wet napkin over the hose and suck. siphoning isnt a science project.

Back