Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get out of the house with a propane burner so I can do full boil (Glass stove top doesn't support the weight).

I currently do 6.07GAL batches. I might push it to 10GAL in the future so I could fill 2 keg.

I searched a lot on the internet and I'm still puzzled on what to buy.

The two burner that got my attention is the SQ-14 and the KA-B6. I know the KA-B6 is more powerfull but I've read people say they had issue with it, the flame was too low and they modified it etc. I intend to use a normal cauldron and not those keggle with concave bottom.
What are your stats with each of the burner, how long does it take to boil, propane use, etc?

I do not want to modify my burner, I don't have the time for that nor the talent. I'd like it to be still efficient on the propane. I don't want to make 1 or 2 batch with it and need to fill.

How is the SQ-14 on the efficiency? How many batch can you make with it?
Does it consume as much as the KA-B6 per batch but just take longer to bring to a boil?

And if I want to make 10GAL batch, is a 38L pot big enough?

- 38L is not big enough if you're going to make a true 10 gallon batch. If you want to make a more concentrated batch and water up to 10 gallons, you'll be fine.

- Can't speak to those burners, specifically, but I use Home Depot purchased burners that I've found to be more cost effective than anything any brew supply store sells... and not as inefficient as those same suppliers will tell you.

The SQ-14 is a fine burner and probably one of the best in it's price range. I know you don't want to have to modify your burner; I didn't either but found it was very easy to add a windscreen.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-bayou-classic-sq14-windscreen-addition-330988/

I shied away from the KA-B6 for the same reasons you state, the height of the kettle over the flame. If I didn't want to add a windscreen, I sure didn't want to hack and weld on my new burner to lower that distance. So, for my bigger burner I ponied up the extra cash for the Blichmann Floor Burner and haven't regretted that decision at all.

The 38L kettle (10.04 US Gal) is too small for full boil 10 gallon batches. IMO you want at least a 15 Gallon kettle for that batch size. I personally use a 20 Gallon kettle and I really appreciate the extra headroom when the boil first gets going! If you aren't doing full volume boils and topping off with water then the 38L kettle may be okay. I think you'll fare better with something a little bigger though.

I started with an SP-10 and loved it until I got a Keggle. I've since upgraded to the Blichmann burner and will never look back. A great purchase, it is quite, efficient, very stable and can easily hold very large kettles. I don't hesitate to recommend it.

I started with an SP-10 and loved it until I got a Keggle. I've since upgraded to the Blichmann burner and will never look back. A great purchase, it is quite, efficient, very stable and can easily hold very large kettles. I don't hesitate to recommend it.

How much batch do you make with a tank of propane?

On the SQ14, I can get ~4-5 AG batches (5-7.5gal) per tank. That's including heating strike water, sparge water and 60-90 minute boils.

I use my Blichman for larger batches with my 20 Gallon kettle. Now, I use my SQ14 for heating strike/sparge water while the Blichmann is my boil burner.

I too get about 4-6 batches out of a 20lb tank. Some of those are 90+ minute boils and I also share my tank with my grill on occasion. Outside temperature will also play into how many uses you will get out of a tank. Warm weather=tank not freezing when it gets lower on gas.

I have a blichmann and it is fantastic. I haven't used anything else to compare it with though. It heats fast, is efficient, is super-quiet, and all round designed for use.

If you want to do 10 gallon full boils then I recommend a 15 gallon kettle at the very smallest (but you will undoubtedly get boil overs) but a 20g kettle would be much more appropriate.

I have this burner. I am very happy with it. It is very powerful. In fact, I don't think I have ever turned it up all the way. It boils so vigorously that once it is at a boil I turn down very low and it keeps it at a rolling boil. It sounds like a jet engine, but it will easily boil a 15-gallon batch in under 10-mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it feasible to use a gas stove? I am currently using an electric one, but I have a gas furnace, and it is pretty easy to use a line to a gas stove in the garage vs. another electric stove that does not quite get as hot as I want.

WizardBill said:
Is it feasible to use a gas stove? I am currently using an electric one, but I have a gas furnace, and it is pretty easy to use a line to a gas stove in the garage vs. another electric stove that does not quite get as hot as I want.

I use a gas stove and it works well for 5 gallon extract kits but that is with 3 gallons of water or less. Anything more and you would need an industrial grade stove.

I use a gas stove and it works well for 5 gallon extract kits but that is with 3 gallons of water or less. Anything more and you would need an industrial grade stove.

Are there any burners (like a propane one) that runs off of the gas from my house? I am not too keen on using the refillable tanks. Seems like a bother. My entire basement is going to be converted to the homebrewery.

Are there any burners (like a propane one) that runs off of the gas from my house? I am not too keen on using the refillable tanks. Seems like a bother. My entire basement is going to be converted to the homebrewery.

The Blichmann and several others have a kit to convert to natural gas.

Back