Noob recipe request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I currently have my first batch, a Kolsch extract kit, in the secondary a day from bottling. I'm looking for advice on my next recipe. The problem is that I have very little control (read none) over the temperature. I would guess that my basement is going to be in the 70's all summer at least.

From my limited research it seems that the Saison yeasts do well at this temperature. I could also do a tripel, but am not really ready to sit around for half a year to drink my beer. Any good suggestions for recipes that I could let ferment in the 70-80 range?

Thanks

Do yourself a favor and set up one of these. I think you would be pretty unhappy with any beer fermented at 80 degrees. Proper ferm. temps are as important as using a good recipe or using good ingredients for making good beer. I think the tubs are ~ $5-7 at Wally world. Freeze a couple water bottles and voila' temp control.
swamp1.jpg

Yea im currently trying to brew a pale ale in my garage, it is in the mid 90's outside, luckily i stumbled upon a big tub on wheels, it was used in a convienence store to ice down steele reserve malt liquor....bleck!! thank god it was saved from that.
I swap out frozen bottles, today i had to dump 20lbs of ice due to my garage temps, and lack of frozen bottles.

First of all I would check your actual basement temp. I think you'll find that in the most underground portion of your basement (most of PA is built on the side of a hill), the temp should be @ or below 70 degrees.

That temp and even a swamp cooler as mentioned above, will work fine with most ale recipies. Also, you will only need to keep it in the mid 60 range for the first 3-4 days and then warming to 70ish shouldn't be a problem.

Another option would be a hefeweizen if you don't mind a banana/clove finish.;)

Good luck

Bull

If you place a towel or T-shirt over the bucket while it is in the barrel water, you will get evaporative cooling, good for about 5 to 8 degrees of temp. reduction. That should be enough for about anything you want to brew.

I try to keep my temp. at 64 to 66 for most beers. My Michigan basement is pretty good for that temp. I have been very happy with my beers and I have brewed many different ales at these temps. As long as you don't go too much over 70 degrees, you are not going to be risking too much with your beer.

Back