Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 7? My air lock hasn't had activity since day 3 or 4. But the activity you could hear the air lock thought the freezer going off when it was

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed this up yesterday added 5 grams of Target @60min Smelled amazing especially after i added the pie spice! I'm excited for this one.:ban:

Not sure what my target final gravity should be. And final gravity is before bottling right? Won't gravity change after bottling?

Not sure what my target final gravity should be. And final gravity is before bottling right? Won't gravity change after bottling?

What was your original gravity? If you feel in line with the recipe, as long as you're art or under 1.020 you are in good shape. Your gravity should not continue to drop after you bottle (though it'll change a little, if you consider how you're adding sugar which gets fermented out, but that should be a zero sum game).

Going to take a sample later his week.
It's always best to let the yeast do their thing. The more you fiddle with it and try to get samples, the higher chance you have of exposing it to oxygen and micro-baddies. For most beers I usually do my first sample after two weeks. But for this beer I just leave it alone for at least two months.

What was your original gravity? If you feel in line with the recipe, as long as you're art or under 1.020 you are in good shape. Your gravity should not continue to drop after you bottle (though it'll change a little, if you consider how you're adding sugar which gets fermented out, but that should be a zero sum game).
Please be careful what advice you post. If you think it should stop at 1.020 and you bottle once it hits that, but still continues lower, you can have bottle bombs.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS confirm fermentation has stopped before you bottle. As long as your gravity reading one day is the same as it is a few days to a week later then you can go ahead and bottle.

Good advice. Original gravity was 1.064. I am going to rack to secondary next week. Figure ill take the sample then.

I know if I mashed higher I would see it stopping around 1.014 - 1.016 on its own. My mash was at about 152 on average. I am only trying to avoid this brew drying out. I got a lot of hot alcohol from this one last time when I let it sit in the primary for a month (finished at 1.008).

At this point the fermentation has slowed due to the racking and the cold crashing. I plan on letting it sit in the keezer at 50 deg F for a couple weeks, then bottling.

with it being at 1.012 I am not too worried about bottle bombs. When I prime I will use slightly less priming sugar. I plan to leave these on the shelf for a month or so after priming.

I will post my results.

You say you're going to use less priming sugar, so you're expecting it to drop lower than 1.012 in the bottle. Since the yeast is going to consume all of the fermentable sugars at some point, it's going to end up at the same final gravity whether it happens in the bottle or the fermenter. But if you let it go in the fermenter then you don't have to play a guessing game with carbonation and risk over or under carbonating it. Just because you're putting it into the bottle at 1.012 doesn't mean that is the final gravity if there are fermentable sugars left.

During fermentation I'd say first 4 days temp would fluctuate with ambient temperature between 72-74°. I have the primary sitting fairly close to an air vent in my house so when he AC kicks on its keeping the beer cool. Now that fermentation has stopped the temp has dropped to the 60s. Sitting around 64° right now. Again my wife plays with the thermostat, but its never below 73°. I suppose the question is, dioes the fermentation process produce that much heat? I mean yeast its a living organism using energy and converting sugar into alcohol, all the while growing and eating... is this normal for temp to fall like that? This is my third home brew and I didn't notice this before

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning yes, it generates a good bit of heat. At the height of fermentation the beer can be as much as 8°-10°F warmer than the ambient temperature. 72°-74°F is a bit warm for most ale yeasts and may give you some off flavors. US-05 is fairly forgiving and with the spice flavors in this beer you'll probably be ok, but I would shoot for around 68°F (beer temp) next time.

Just finished my mash in and it already smells delicious.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409673503.390197.jpg

Please be careful what advice you post. If you think it should stop at 1.020 and you bottle once it hits that, but still continues lower, you can have bottle bombs.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS confirm fermentation has stopped before you bottle. As long as your gravity reading one day is the same as it is a few days to a week later then you can go ahead and bottle.

Yeah, I definitely worded that badly. From the sounds of it, he has a stuck or finished fermentation, so I was approaching it from that angle without thinking it through. I'll be more mindful of that in the future!

Yeah, I definitely worded that badly. From the sounds of it, he has a stuck or finished fermentation, so I was approaching it from that angle without thinking it through. I'll be more mindful of that in the future!

Fair enough. I'm just trying to be cautious. You can never really know the experience level of others.

:mug:

I overshot my OG on this one again this year. I did a BIAB pour over sparge and just raised my volume a bit but still ended up at 1.070.

Yah after chilling I pitched and the wife knocked over my sample sooo I didn't get a OG sweet. . .

I look forward to tasting this! Tried steeping a bit less special roast and added some victory to compensate. Hopefully I didnt mess it up. Briess state it can be steeped but I assume I won't get as strong of a biscuit taste as if it was mashed! Thanks for the recipe! Hit 1.069!

View attachment 218242

3 weeks later and a 1.012 FG this tastes amazing. Cant wait to taste this conditionned and carbed!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409745487.146226.jpg

I brewed this today. I brewed a half batch and used 4lbs light DME, and halved the rest of the ingredients. OG was 1.073 and I ended up with about 2.75 gallons in the fermenter, so I think this one will be right on the money if it ferments out as it is supposed to! It smells delicious, like gingerbread. It has a beautiful dark orange hue that really lights up in the sunlight!

Sunlight:
FaSTSSB.jpg

Indoors:
gWXHJYK.jpg

Just kegged and carbed my IIPA version off of this recipe. Turned out really good, hoppy and just down right rediculous! Not sure if anyone can answer this but, my FG hydro sample was super clear, cold crashed for a week and kegged but its murky orange color now.. I used irish moss, everything done as it should be.. is it chill haze? Or...??

Brewed this up last night for the 2014 edition I made a few recipe changes because I have switched from a batch sparge set-up to a recirculating no sparge set-up so the grain bill had to change.

I adjusted the Grain bill to be
12.25lbs of 2-row
1lbs crystal 60
1lbs victory
2 large cans of E.D. Smith pumpkin puree

1oz Mt. Hood 60mins
.5oz Mt. Hood for 5 mins
Whirlfloc 15 mins
1.5tbsp Clubhouse Pumpkin pie spice 5min

Yeast
WLP001 in a 1.5 liter starter

Instead of doing the pumpkin in the mash I steeped it in the kettle while recirculating in a home-made bag made from mosquito netting.

I kinda step mashed this as well at 152 for 30 then stepped it up to 156 for about 20 checked for conversion then stepped up to 168 then mashed out once I hit 168.
I ended up right on target at 1.065.

I smell very little hop and spice character but taste is incredible you get very little hints of pumpkin and the spices its like drinking pumpkin pie.

Its happily fermenting at about 18-19 right now in the SS BrewBucket.

Racked into secondary today. Looks and smells good. A little hazy but I'm going to cold crash before I bottle in a few weeks.

So I only did a 2.5 gallon batch of this stuff and pitched S-04 dry. Had fermentation when I woke up the next morning but the krausen never really got too high. Fermentation started on Friday and appeared to be finished, krausen dropped and everything, by Sunday. Is this pretty typical? I was thinking that maybe since it was only 2.5 gallons the krausen wouldn't be as big because there is less of whatever it is that makes krausen (proteins?) in 2.5 gallons vs 5 gallons.

I've heard S-04 is a quick fermenter but damn! I was sitting here worried that I had the beer too cold in my swamp cooler (I tried to keep the water temp in the upper 50's so the beer would be in the low 60's) because the krausen was so low and then it stopped and dropped krausen. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet.

So I only did a 2.5 gallon batch of this stuff and pitched S-04 dry. Had fermentation when I woke up the next morning but the krausen never really got too high. Fermentation started on Friday and appeared to be finished, krausen dropped and everything, by Sunday. Is this pretty typical? I was thinking that maybe since it was only 2.5 gallons the krausen wouldn't be as big because there is less of whatever it is that makes krausen (proteins?) in 2.5 gallons vs 5 gallons.

I've heard S-04 is a quick fermenter but damn! I was sitting here worried that I had the beer too cold in my swamp cooler (I tried to keep the water temp in the upper 50's so the beer would be in the low 60's) because the krausen was so low and then it stopped and dropped krausen. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet.

I certainly wouldn't think it'd be done fermenting that quick. Just got off to a vigorous start and settled down. Take some gravity readings in a week or so and go from there.

Yeah I'm not sure whats going on. It was definitely fermenting because I did get krausen and I could see the yeast churning around inside the carboy, but now I see no krausen or movement. Maybe it did finish. Its worth noting that I put an entire 11.5g packet of S-04 into the 2.5 gallon batch, so maybe that helped it get going?

I will take a gravity reading probably early next week. Any tips on getting a sample out? I only have 2.5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon better bottle, so I can't exactly reach it with my turkey baster. I was thinking either using my sanitized auto siphon to fill up a hydrometer tube, or sanitizing my hydrometer and just lowering it into the carboy with some fishing line also sanitized). I am leaning towards lowering my hydrometer right into the carboy because it seems like that would leave less room for things to go wrong (infections, spills, etc).

So, brewed this on Sept 1, just realized I added 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to the boil, not the 1.5 tablespoons I should have. What is the best way to add more spice? I am not doing a secondary these days so I can either add it in and mix it back up (?) or rack to secondary and add it there. Any advice?

go ahead and add it. Or make a tincture (add it to some vodka or something else alcoholic) and add it at packaging time until it tastes good.

So, brewed this on Sept 1, just realized I added 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to the boil, not the 1.5 tablespoons I should have. What is the best way to add more spice? I am not doing a secondary these days so I can either add it in and mix it back up (?) or rack to secondary and add it there. Any advice?

I brewed this recipe a few weeks ago. While it was in the primary I ordered the Pumpkin Spice pack from Austin homebrew and "dry hopped" with it in the secondary.

Taste Great! I might have to brew another batch because this one probably wont make it to Fall

go ahead and add it. Or make a tincture (add it to some vodka or something else alcoholic) and add it at packaging time until it tastes good.

This! Tincture is the best way to go. Tablespoon of spice, mix it up with some vodka, let that mixture sit for about a week then strain through coffee filter. Before bottling/kegging, take a measured sample of beer and add a measured amount of the tincture. Add/subtract to your taste until you find what tastes best and then scale up to the full batch.

Getting ready to brew this on Monday. Looks like I'll be using my glass carboy for this 2 month fermentation. Using US-05, what temp do you recommend? 68F-70F ok? and will I need a blow off tube?

I'd recommend closer to 65°F

And yeah a blow off tube is probably a good thing.

Brewing this now. After cooking the pumpkin I added some of the water going into the MLT to it and thinned it out, also adding plenty of rice hulls trying to avoid a stuck sparge.

brewed 10 gallon of this back in august. Tapped my first keg yesterday. This beer is great.
One change I made was I only added 2 tsp of spice per 5 gallon (soaked in vodka) after fermentation was complete let it sit for a week then keg.
I used pumpkin pie spice from Penzeys.
The spice of the beer is subtle but this makes it really nice if you want to rim the glass with spice, or just put a dash on the foam for a different look.
Only problem I had was 2 lbs of rice hulls were not enough for a 10 gallon batch. I use a copper manifold and it plugged up a few times-but well worth it!!

Brewed exactly as posted except yeast (Dennys Fav 50) on 8/6 and bottled 9/13. Got 49 bottles that should be ready by Halloween.
OG 1.072 FG 1.010.
Mashed at 156, but 90 minute slooow fly sparge let temp drop & finish dryer despite 1lb rice hulls
Spice flavor was mild, but present, at bottling.
Thanks for a great recipe Reno!

Alright guys, I have posted a review video of this beer on YouTube. This beer is delicious!!!!!!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i3hefW2XmI&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Back