A few questions about Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECUpirate025

Reaction score
I've been reading through some of the threads about this and have a few questions. I've been reading that the wyeast 3068 will be a bit fruitier and will have better clarity. If using this, am I correct in assuming that I will only need 1 lb of dextrose? The second question is about fermentation...If putting this in a 5 gal carboy, should it be rigged with a blowoff since I will be using the 3068?, or would it be recommended to put this in a bucket and then rack it after a month or so? This will be my first attempt at this btw, as I have already started with a few batches of beer.

edit: I was planning on using a slightly modified version of EdWort's recipe.

Aaron

The amount of dextrose determines your OG. It really doesn't matter what yeast you use. Cider tends to ferment out very dry no matter which yeast you use. If you want a lower %ABV when its finished use less sugar. If you want a higher %ABV use more. I don't know that the type of yeast matters unless you get a yeast that poops out early and wont ferment all the sugar. 3068 is a unique top-fermenting yeast which produces the unique and spicy weizen character, rich with clove, vanilla and banana. Alcohol tolerance: approximately 10% ABV.

2 lbs of Sugar in 5 gallons of Tree Top will give you an additional 18 points. Tree Top is about 1.050 SG so with the additional sugar your OG will be about 1.068. This is about 10 %ABV. This is within the range of the 3068 so I don't see where reducing the amount of sugar will change anything. The yeast will still ferment to dry and you may still get the flavors from the yeast.

dude 3068 is the wienerstephan hef yeast....clarity is an oxymoron with that because the whole point of a hef is that there cloudy. All hef yeast flocculate poorly so thats something you should look at. It will give you some spice if its fermented at the right temp though. Higher produces bannana esters and lower you should get the clove. His recipe also ends at around .997 in my case which is dry. Any beer yeast will end on the higher spectrum leaving some sweetness...what recipe are you planning on using?

OK, maybe i'll just stick with the regular montrachet yeast. I was gonna use EdWort's recipe from his thread:

5 gals apple juice(no preservatives or additives)
2 lbs dextrose
1 5g pack of montrachet yeast.

This is also prob a total n00b question, but if I want to carb this drink, do I still need to prime it before bottling even though it already has a ton of corn sugar?

Thanks for the help

Aaron

OK, maybe i'll just stick with the regular montrachet yeast. I was gonna use EdWort's recipe from his thread:

5 gals apple juice(no preservatives or additives)
2 lbs dextrose
1 5g pack of montrachet yeast.

This is also prob a total n00b question, but if I want to carb this drink, do I still need to prime it before bottling even though it already has a ton of corn sugar?

Thanks for the help

Aaron

I substituted 2 lbs brown sugar and used 1 pkg cote de blanc yeast , I liked it better then original receipe. Yes , you still need to prime for carbonation. My son made a batch and didn't carb , I didn't care for it. If this is your first batch, I suggest you stick with Ed Wort's original receipe and try something modified on second batch so you have something to compare it to.

Back