My new venture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OhCrap, question for you, there was a discussion on black and tans in another thread. Having been lectured about black and tans by my wife, that no Irishman would ever order one, whats the feeling on the topic in the Emerald Isle?

Good luck with your venture, Happy St Patrick's Day!

scrapes said:
OhCrap, question for you, there was a discussion on black and tans in another thread. Having been lectured about black and tans by my wife, that no Irishman would ever order one, whats the feeling on the topic in the Emerald Isle?

Good luck with your venture, Happy St Patrick's Day!

A Black and Tan here is 1/2 Guinness & 1/2 smithwicks. Some people still order them but call it a pint of special (due to historic reasons)

Paddys day will be great craic enjoy

Bottle selection

I'll see you in August, the Mrs and I are coming over for our 20th anniversary.

Anyone know if there is a problem with carrying brew in luggage? If not I will try to get some home brew made and bring a selection of Oregon brews with me. :mug:

*edit* that is taking brew internationally in luggage.

Joker said:
I'll see you in August, the Mrs and I are coming over for our 20th anniversary.

Anyone know if there is a problem with carrying brew in luggage? If not I will try to get some home brew made and bring a selection of Oregon brews with me. :mug:

*edit* that is taking brew internationally in luggage.

Not sure, if its in your checked luggage it might be alright.... See u in August, let me know when n ill make sure we have some craic happening

Not sure, if its in your checked luggage it might be alright.... See u in August, let me know when n ill make sure we have some craic happening

We land in Dublin on 8/20 and will be in the country til 9/3 so somewhere in there. I will update you once we know our exact route and days.

Joker said:
We land in Dublin on 8/20 and will be in the country til 9/3 so somewhere in there. I will update you once we know our exact route and days.

The bar's 1 yr old on the 31st August. It's also my birthday so music and stuff happening that weekend...

The bar's 1 yr old on the 31st August. It's also my birthday so music and stuff happening that weekend...

Sounds like the place to be. I will get this in the schedule of events to attend.

I found you on google street view! The building says Cheerz Bar though, so it's an old photo.

156858_10200338352035721_493377297_n.jpg

If I ever realize my dream of returning to Ireland and cycling around the island, I'll be sure to plan an overnight stop at Moe's Pub!

Thanks for the comments

It's going well, and I'm beginning to introduce craft beers,
got blue moon in on draft, not a common beer over here.
Have a good selection of bottles but people not trying too many, they seem to want to try my homebrew which I can't sell legally. I might introduce the odd sampler after hours if it gets people trying something different. Going to keep pushing the cause

How about having a donation box, donate to "something" and you can sample a craft beer free of charge, that way you are not selling the homebrewed ale... just a suggestion and not sure of the legalities but I would think there is a loop hole there somewhere :D

Hey man,we got our taxes done today,so I had to celebrate with some beer & vodka. Only had the dark beer at 2 days shy of 3 weeks when I took the box with 5 beers in it & stuck'em in the fridge 4 days ago today. Here's a later pic,as original got elliminated somehow;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001-2_zps4b72f12c.jpg.html] [/URL]
Good head,decent carbonation,color a little lighter than I had hoped,needs more chocolate malt. But just as you said of your 1st batch,it's smooth. It has a bit of that lager crispness from the WL029 yeast & the spicy hops I used. Holds a veneer head already! This one's def a keeper! It drinks more like a lager than the ales I've been brewing. But the beer is very clear,contrary to the pic. Thanks are def in order,as is more fridge time.:ban::mug::ban:

unionrdr said:
Hey man,we got our taxes done today,so I had to celebrate with some beer & vodka. Only had the dark beer at 2 days shy of 3 weeks when I took the box with 5 beers in it & stuck'em in the fridge 4 days ago today. Here's a pic of what I got so far;
http://
1/4" head,decent carbonation,color a little lighter tghan I had hoped,needs more chocolate malt. But just as you said of your 1st batch,it's smooth. It has a bit of that lager crispness from the WL029 yeast & the spicy hops I used. Holds a veneer head already! This one's def a keeper! It drinks more like a lager than the ales I've been brewing. But the beer is very clear,contrary to the pic. Thanks are def in order,as is more fridge time.:ban::mug::ban:

Did the roastyness come through as we'll? Mine is still lagering but def lighter due to the late addition extract. But samples taste good.
I'm gled you liked it and the smooth subtle flavour goes down well :)

The roastiness hasn't come through yet. But I left 3 bottles in the fridge for a couple more days to let them carb & condition a bit more. It's kinda like lagering at this point. It's looking like some little roastiness might come through. The rauchmalt sure didn't,although it might be enough to add to the roastiness at 1/2lb added to the mash I did.
It seems at 4 days fridge time,that part of the flavor needs to develope more. When I put those bottles in the fridge,they were 2 days shy of 3 weeks at room temps. And in the warmest room in the house. The new bench capper does seem to have solved my carb retension problem though. The other beers have been carbing & conditioning further at room temp. I'm thinking this dark lager def needs it. So we'll continue observations with those,as it seems the conditioning phase needs more time between the ones in the fridge now & the ones still at room temp conditioning further.
Def a game of patience this time!...:mug: *PS-original pic I posted went south for some reason. Posted a bit later pic of same in it's place.

First 2 weeks of August I'll be in Ballyhaunis, County Mayo, about 24km from you. Hopefully I can make it over on a weekend.

What would be the address?
Any idea what cab fare would be for that trip?

Ok, finally made it to Moe's Pub. Been here two weeks, supposed to be here until Wed 8/14, but have to head out tomorrow, 8/11.
Glenn is an extremely awesome guy! I can't thank him enough for the hospitality. Here are some pics from my visit. Didn't realize the lens was so dirty, sorry for the quality.

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Has anyone made it over to Dingle Brewing? Great Place! I was lucky enough on my first visit there to have a pint of their first batch and to compare it to their 2nd batch with the brewers and owner in the tasting room. Pretty awseome. Well, just being in Dingle is pretty awesome in itself. BTW....Up Kerry!

Ill be there BUT if you wait till the 31st, there's a 1 yr anniversary party

Sad to report I never made it to the bar. :(

Both days got filled with seeing the sights around the Dingle area, we never even made it to Galway.

After a.successfull 18mths in business, one of my suppliers.presented me with this bottle. I was impressed:) as it.was a.limited production for.us little pubs trying to promote nice beers

Sent from my C6903 using Home Brew mobile app

1393663160706.jpg

It really warms the heart to read this thread. I travelled around the island in 2008 and contributed to an article about the Irish beer scene (both the republic and Northern Ireland), or rather the lack of it. I also visited the Franciscan Well and it's great to se them support bars showcasing craft beer. How do the locals respond to your craft beer offerings?

You should really think about listing your pub in the RateBeer places section:

http://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/galway/0/100/

So nice to see the pub still going strong! Wishing you many more years of success! Can't wait to go visit!

I'm going to propose this as honeymoon destination to get the girl out of the states for first time in her life.

How did that turn out? I only bottled mine last night........

I turned out quite well with the WL029 Kolsch yeast. Very lager-like. So much so that the lawn care guys would come to the door to get paid & ask for a beer after a hot day in my yard. Most of them liked the dark lager hybrid. Gotta brew up some more come winter, but I think I'll add to the mash a little. I've started experimenting with Weyermann malts. The Carared in the bag smelled like roasted nuts. The others a lot like toasted bread. Could be interesting.

Back