Transferring wort to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDBrew

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any drawbacks to using a ball valve spigot to transfer the cooled wort from your brew kettle to your primary fermenter? I see most all use the siphon method and was wondering if there was a reason why the spigot cannot be used if your brew kettle has one. Is this a dumb newbie question? Thanks!

Drawbacks? You miss out on the pure joy of cleaning your siphon, I guess. ;)

That's one of the things that ball valve is intended for! As long as your wort is chilled, go ahead and drain from the ball valve into your fermenter!

Another thing those valves are good for is using plate- or counter-flow chillers - drain the ball valve straight to the chiller, and the chiller straight to the fermenter.

We always go from kettle to fermenter thru ball valve. Also from 24" (height of burner) to the fermenter, adds a little aeration needed for yeast. Not that you shouldn't still aerate more.

as long as you clean the valve post-brew, there should be no issue. No leftover organic residue (wort) inside means the heat from the boiling should sufficiently sanitize the insides.

...and welcome to the forum!

One note - for beers with lots of kettle hops, I've had my ball valve get plugged before. Before opening, just give it a stir to whirlpool & let it sit for a few mins - the hop trub moves to the center of your kettle. It's science.

Thanks all for the great feedback and advice! And thanks for the tips about sanitizing the tap post-brew and issues with the tap possibly getting clogged. I've got a lot still to learn.

Back