Beer cloning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
There's a local craft brew (that coincidentally just went on sale in bottles) that I'm head over heels for. While I love to help support local brews, and will continue to buy it (often), I would also love to be able to make this beer.

It's a dark brown/slightly reddish beer, malty with a slight hint of chocolate. Relatively thin, brownish head, and it leaves decent drunk rings (lacing) as you drink it down.

That's pretty much all I know about it.

I understand that it's mostly trial and error. I'm just curious about any hints, tips, or tricks that might make this interesting journey slightly shorter.

Roanoke Railhouse Brewery. It's called Track 1.

Couldn't tell you a style... Their website isn't terribly informative on that front.

I suppose I'll shoot them an email... Something along this lines of, "I love your beer and want to make it myself." Only more diplomatically lol.

Get the BYO 250 clone magazine and read the introduction by Chris Colby on how to clone beers. I read it in the 150th and I'm assuming it is the same intro, or pretty close. Not only did it teach me a lot about building a clone, but recipe creation in general. It took me leaps and bounds in my beer education. It is very clear cut on how to deconstruct a recipe.

You're right. Their website really doesn't have much to say. However there is a link to email the president of the brewery.

Do they really only have two brews? Track 1 and Loose Caboose.

Half of the websites I saw listed it as a brown ale. BA said it was a english-style brown ale. The other half referred to it as a "amber lager" or a vienna lager.

Half of the websites I saw listed it as a brown ale. BA said it was a english-style brown ale. The other half referred to it as a "amber lager" or a vienna lager.

Yeah, I found pretty much the same thing. I guess there's a few brown ales brewing in my future. Oh darn ;)

The brewery started up a couple of years ago. They only had Track 1 until just recently, and it was only available by the keg or on tap. About a week ago they began distributing bottles.

I'll be stopping to get a few 22-oz'ers on my way home from work tonight.

Back