New to Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDengler

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a while now, and I would like to do a Soda for the kids. Can anyone suggest an easy first time soda. Flavor doesn't really matter. And what type of bottling do you use? Glass? Plastic? I have no way to carbonate as of yet. (I'm scouring Craigslist for a kegorator)

Thanks

Soda is easy. You can buy the soda extracts, and then mix them up with sugar and water. You add about 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, and then sanitize everything. I like to pour through a sanitized plastic funnel (making the mix up in a pitcher) and then close up.

For safety's sake, you should really use plastic bottles. I use either soda bottles, or the PET bottles designed for beer/soda. Leave them at room temperature, and when they get hard you put them in the fridge. You want to put them in the fridge when they are carbed up- otherwise the yeast keep eating the sugars and you'll have bottle bombs.

I like to make 2L or so at a time, because that's managable in my fridge. I keg, now, though, so I don't use yeast any more. I bought a carbonator cap, and force carb with it.

Rootbeer is almost always a winner. A simple trick when using soda extracts, mix the extract with water and sugar in a 1L plastic bottle and store it in the fridge. To make 2L of soda, put 1/2 cup of the syrup in a 2L bottle, add 1/4 tsp of yeast and fill.

sorry im new to brewing, and would like to make something for the kids and the folks who dont drink spirits. i would like to make some root beer or sasparilla. but dosnt adding yeast turn the sugar to alcohol? thanks.

-miles

Latest posts

Back