cola agave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
I'm in the strange position of trying to use up a stockpile of expensive, healthy agave syrup that I got on a deep sale. It seemed a perfect match for Zaterain root beer extract, but after countless sodastream attempts it is unretrievably gross and out of the question. I then tried rainbow ginger beer extract and that proved the extract approach was gross. The bottles come leaking and shriveled after about 8 hours airborne and several up and down pressure/temperature extremes... no surface shipment is possible here and maybe this ride promotes spoilage.

Agave syrup is almost good enough to make a soda by itself but needs some backbone over it's mapley background. I finally found a great fit with cola syrup. Most cola syrups are gross, and I expect the extracts even worse. I can get the tolerable sodastream NATURAL cola syrup (not diet or non-natural) with a BBB coupon, which is not perfect but it works in the weakened combo mode.

Note I am not creating an EXTRA sweetened cola - you cut both the cola and agave syrups to half the amount you would use for one alone in a whole bottle. It really works well because the imperfections of the zingy cola are less noticeable in half amounts, and it tastes classy and wholesome from the agave without being blandly sweet as would be pure agave.

I had another success in ginger ale agave, using sodastream natural ginger ale syrup. It doesn't work with rainbow ginger beer + agave for some reason. The sodastream/agave proportion has to be just right so that neither dominates.

Root beer agave doesn't work well with sodastream... I think it is the overpowering peppermint or whatever mint flavor in sodastream's root beer.

What about using the agave with some citric acid to cut the sweetness, then using some other natural fruit flavors?

Make up your own drink.

Thanks but I have trouble imagining the result... say of agave + lemonade concentrate. My agave is a blend of the 2 kinds (white and blue?) and has strong maple overtones that might clash with most fruit flavors.

I can say that the "cola agave" has allowed me for the first time in memory to wean myself from at least a liter of commercial cola per day. The ginger variation gives a lighter change of pace as well as my kumquat soda that I mention elsewhere.

Back