Need to buy a keg suitable for secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
Hi all, I need to buy a keg suitable for secondary fermentation/carbonation and then serving. Ive been looking at a keg with simple vent cap and tap at the bottom rather than s30 valves and having to use co2 cartridges. would a vent cap be suitable enough to carbonate my beer?

furstyjaymar13 said:
Hi all, I need to buy a keg suitable for secondary fermentation/carbonation and then serving. Ive been looking at a keg with simple vent cap and tap at the bottom rather than s30 valves and having to use co2 cartridges. would a vent cap be suitable enough to carbonate my beer?

I've seen corny kegs with caps that have been outfitted with airlocks (its just an extra cap with a hole drilled, grommet added, and airlock inserted).

However, you cannot carbonate a beer in a vessel with an airlock. Carbonation builds pressure and it will all escape if the vessel isn't sealed.

Look up spunding valve.

You can ferment in a keg with airlock lid once down to about 3-4 points from FG throw on a normal lid with spunding valve on the "gas out" post
Idea behind this valve is keeping the internal pressure between 12-18psi at end of fermentation to natraully carb with your batches own co2 blowoff.
You can save a BUNCH of money on co2 this way if you forcecarb

I've seen corny kegs with caps that have been outfitted with airlocks (its just an extra cap with a hole drilled, grommet added, and airlock inserted).

However, you cannot carbonate a beer in a vessel with an airlock. Carbonation builds pressure and it will all escape if the vessel isn't sealed.

Thanks, seems obvious now whilst reading it back that carbonation pressure cant build up with that type of valve! And im guessing it wouldnt be advisable to temporary seal the airlock for carbonating in that type of keg?

Look up spunding valve.

You can ferment in a keg with airlock lid once down to about 3-4 points from FG throw on a normal lid with spunding valve on the "gas out" post
Idea behind this valve is keeping the internal pressure between 12-18psi at end of fermentation to natraully carb with your batches own co2 blowoff.
You can save a BUNCH of money on co2 this way if you forcecarb

Thanks, l like the idea of a spunding valve, read a couple of threads on here about spunding valves but will need to get my head around first before using it with my basic setup. Great suggestion thanks

Back