When foam pushes through airlock...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZGirl

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post.

I prepared my first home brew yesterday evening (using Coopers Micro-Brew Kit).

This morning I found it happily bubbling away. Now I have foam pushing through the airlock. I added some water to it to try to flush it. More foam has pushed out. It seems to have nothing but foam in the airlock now.

Should I remove the airlock, clean it and put it back in? Or add more water to keep flushing it? Or just leave it alone?

Remove and switch to a blow-off tube

Use about 4ft of tubing and place one end in the plastic stopper (that your airlock goes in) and put the opther in a cut off gallon jug with water in it. You just have some good fermentation going on, happens alot but it will calm down soon enough.

Happens to all of us at one time or another, it means you have a very very active fermentation...

First off, pull the airlock off anc clean and re-sanitize it...stick it back in, then grab a hose (I found the the one from my bottling wand worked when I needed it) and rig up a blowoff tube..

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

Everything including your beer will be fine!!! Between that and dropping the rubber grommet into the bucket, means you have truly entered the brotherhood of the homebrewer. :D

Revvy is it at all possible water or whatever liquid you have as a filter risks getting sucked into the primary with it setup like that?

never have had a problem with my setup. The primary is always under positive pressure during fermentation and when it slows down just put the airlock back on.

8434d1226512299-better-bottle-blowoff-tube-sta72675.jpg

Revvy is it at all possible water or whatever liquid you have as a filter risks getting sucked into the primary with it setup like that?

As springer said, it doesn't happen. It would take quite a bit of pressure to suck that water back into the fermenter. It's not really that different from an oversized airlock.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies...

Will get a blow-off tube setup...

It's fermenting at 26 degrees celsius (78.8 degrees fahrenheit)... hopefully that will be ok.

Back