BeerSmith - Minor feature request / thinking out loud...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Just did a clean XP install, and in doing so, wiped out my BSM file inadvertently. But on the bright side, I can re-set-up BeerSmith and pay a little more attention to my settings as I do so.

The first thing that catches my eye, and makes me say "Oh! I remember that! I wish that were different!" is the Ingredient Increment field on the Units page. I wish I were able to set it to 0.125 so that I can force everything to work in honest single-ounces instead of having to guess the decimal all the time.

OK, I'm through the setup... I've made my HBT and Personal recipe folders... Time to import more grains and fruits... To the BeerSmith website... and over to support... this part is always easy. :) A Hop update would be nice, since there are a number of new varieties post-Hop-Shortage that are missing. But that's just a wish, I know how hard it is to find all the specific stats for a hop that's only been on the market for 3 months. (Green Bullet, Riwaka, Sorachi Ace to name a few.)

OK now I'm back to the "regular stuff"... nothin' out of the ordinary here.... Ooh, I'd love an option to have "Adjust Temp For Equipment" pre-checked by default. I've had to re-print pages SO many times because I forget to check the box.

Past here, it's business as usual. But hey, thoughts on the above couple things?

When making your recipe, you can type for instance 11/16 in the field and it will put in the appropriate decimal.

I went back and tried this in the Options pane, and it works!! I did not know about this!

I now have my Grain Increment set to "1/8" and it goes up 2 oz at a time, every time, no matter what!!!

GREAT SUGGESTION, Thanks very much!!!

Still could use a hops update. :)

When making your recipe, you can type for instance 11/16 in the field and it will put in the appropriate decimal.

Huh? Can you explain this to me? Pretend you're talking to a three year old, and maybe I can figure it out. I've been struggling with the ounces/pounds thing in formulating recipes when I want to use some different grains.

If we are taking requests here, I would love to have window sizes saved to the current item display. In other words, when I am in calendar view, I drag the upper window to almost full size to maximize the calendar. But when I go to a recipe, I have to drag the bar back up to see the preview of the recipe.
When I am looking at my brew log, I want the lower right pane larger.... but when I am looking at grains, I need the upper right pane larger. It would be nice if these various views could be saved so I am not dragging the pane separator constantly up and down.

Latest posts

Back