How do I use this hop spider I built?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohlk

Reaction score
I built a nice hop spider and have been wondering how best to use it. I wonder if the nylon bag will just float to the top. I haven't used it yet. Is it best to put a bit of stainless steel or maybe copper in the bag to keep it from floating to the top during the boil? What is the best way to use this thing? Here is a picture of my hop spider. Any advice is very much appreciated!:tank:

DSCF3065.jpg

Once it has hops in it, the bottom will drop. Make sure it's not set to hit the bottom (of the kettle) when extended.

I've never used anything to weigh down the bag, other than hops, when using mine. I use pellet hops in the boil, if that makes any difference.

all stainless, except the bag

What does that have to do with anything?? It's pretty obvious (from the pic) that it's not using pvc fittings and such (using them, IMO, is a bad idea)... Your spider opening is a bit on the small side though. Just means you'll have to be more careful pouring the hop pellets into it.

I use pellet as well. I just assumed the boil would push the bag up. I guess I shouldn't worry about it. Thank you!

I just thought I'd state its stainless to hedge the "is it stainless?" questions.
"What does that have to do with anything?? It's pretty obvious (from the pic) that it's not using pvc fittings and such (using them, IMO, is a bad idea)..."

Also, zinc. As in I didn't use zinc coated hardware. Maybe its not important but I'd rather use SS.

It's a 3.5 inch opening. Big enough to get the job done I figure. I'm not blind.
I appreciate the feedback, though. Thank you for the heads up. I'll have to shorten the bag a bit cause it hangs down more than it should.

Its a "mouth" for a garbage disposal, "Insinkerator". 1/2 inch x 8 inch SS bolts(maybe 10 inch, i forget). Large enough SS hose clamp. Drilled a few holes and there ya go. Cheap and easy. Thanks.
Well, cheap as far as SS goes.

I still need to cut the bolts down to fit the kettle nice and snug. I'm in no rush on that, though. I'll just have to brew a batch and see if the bag floats. If so, I guess I could just use the bits I cut from the bolts to weigh the bag down.

Man, I'll bet when you try to run the disposal now it rumbles all around in the drain hole!! HA! I like your resourcefulness; I just hope this was a spare part. crackin' me up....

I made my SS hop spider from a 6" stainless cake form, stainless threaded rod, stainless nuts, lock washers and acorn nuts. Even the worm clamp I use to hold the bag is stainless. I set the height of it to be a few inches from the bottom when fully weighted down with hops. That way the bag doesn't touch the bottom and get burner/melted.

Oooooooh, I have an insinkerator sink mount from when I had to replace my disposal. Brand new in the box still. I knew I saved things for a reason.

I just wanted to say that using a garbage disposal sink lip thing (or whatever it is called) is a great idea. I tried using pvc like I saw other people doing, but it always deforms to the point where it can fall in if you don't catch it in time. Using metal is a must.

As far as the bag is concerned, if it is full of hops it will pick up enough weight in water to sink. I couldn't tell if you have a collar holding it on, but if you do, I would recommend flipping it over in the other direction shown in the picture. The nylon between the collar and garbage disposal lip can get very wet and slippery...then with all of the weight from the hops in the bag...when you go to lift the spider out the whole bag of hops can potentially pull the collar off. It's just something to think about...what I do is similar to your picture, but flip it over and stuff the bag through the center for added friction.

Latest posts

Back