Suggestions for a commercial beer to harvest yeast for german altbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatmorefrogs

Reaction score
I recently gave away a packet of yeast out of my Brewer's Best german altbier kit to a friend of mine interested in getting started in the wide world of fermentation.

I'm thinking this has accidentally afforded me the great opportunity to make my first attempt at harvesting yeast from a commercial brew. Any suggestions on which yeast would replace my old yeast (I can't find online what type of yeast I gave away :confused: ) Does anyone have any idea what kind of yeast comes in that kit?

Cheers!

Well an Alt beer is a old German style beer brewed in the northern mountans (Alts), back then they used to make the normal ale, and then store it (german word is lagern, hence lager style beers) they realized this long bulk conditioning made the beer more crisp and clean, now days they use lager (bottom fermenting) yeast but back then it was an ale (top fermenting) yeast

Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative. This yeast is a top cropping (ale) yeast from Germany. if I were to make an Alt this is deffinately the yeast I would use.

That being said, this is a hybrid style beer, to reduce any fruity ester that ale yeasts produce I would ferment at the lower end of this yeasts temp range. So ambient air should be 5-10 degrees cooler than that.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun! And remember to sample it throughout no timeline will tell you when your beer is best, only your palate will tell u when its ready, when the beer taste exactly how you want it (no off flavors), bottle it/keg it and don't rush it!!!!

Well an Alt beer is a old German style beer brewed in the northern mountans (Alts), back then they used to make the normal ale, and then store it (german word is lagern, hence lager style beers) they realized this long bulk conditioning made the beer more crisp and clean, now days they use lager (bottom fermenting) yeast but back then it was an ale (top fermenting) yeast

Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative. This yeast is a top cropping (ale) yeast from Germany. if I were to make an Alt this is deffinately the yeast I would use.

That being said, this is a hybrid style beer, to reduce any fruity ester that ale yeasts produce I would ferment at the lower end of this yeasts temp range. So ambient air should be 5-10 degrees cooler than that.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun! And remember to sample it throughout no timeline will tell you when your beer is best, only your palate will tell u when its ready, when the beer taste exactly how you want it (no off flavors), bottle it/keg it and don't rush it!!!!
thank you
g.gif

:mug:

Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative.

I second the Wyeast 1008 suggestion! I make a winter ale with this that turns out great. Ferment at about 60F, you'll have good results!

Clark

Wow, thanks to you and to everyone for all of the solid responses. I'll probably just go with Wyeast 1007.

eatmorefrogs said:
Wow, thanks to you and to everyone for all of the solid responses. I'll probably just go with Wyeast 1007.

I think I had too many Ruthless Rye IPAs and 3 Floyds Alpha kings last night lol that was a long response! But your welcome

Uh, alt is the German word for old, not mountain. They were/are lagered, that's true. As far as I know this is why they are called alt beers, because they're aged longer, and are thus older.

EDIT: It looks like alt refers to the alt (old) style of brewing, since alt-like beers have been brewed for something like 3000 years.

Back