Help!! I messed up--need advice ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesmirk

Reaction score
I brewed up what I thought was going to be a Pliny clone using the recipe from BYO clone brews mag. I at least bought the dextrose, but as I was cleaning up, I found the bag and realized I had forgotten to add to the boil. I just pitched the yeast. Should I add the dextrose now, even though it did not boil? Will is dissolve completely? Will it infect the batch, or is the amount of hops in it good enough to keep it from being infected?
Ugh.
I did too much relaxing and had too many homebrews to follow directions.

I brewed up what I thought was going to be a Pliny clone using the recipe from BYO clone brews mag. I at least bought the dextrose, but as I was cleaning up, I found the bag and realized I had forgotten to add to the boil. I just pitched the yeast. Should I add the dextrose now, even though it did not boil? Will is dissolve completely? Will it infect the batch, or is the amount of hops in it good enough to keep it from being infected?
Ugh.
I did too much relaxing and had too many homebrews to follow directions.

Take a deep breath! Of all the mistakes, this one is totally minor!

You can just add the sugar to a cup or so of water (whatever it takes to dissolve it- maybe two cups), boil it together until the sugar is clear and dissolves, cool it, and add it to the fermenter. No worries at all!

It calls for 1 lb of dextrose. The OG should have been 1.078, and it is currently 1.064.
I will follow Yooper's advice, and get it in there. Many thanks!

I would boil the dextrose for 10 minutes, cool it in a mini ice bath and put it in the primary if you are worried about it. I don't know the recipe you are talking about, but I would assume the beer will still taste great without the dextrose addition (just slightly less abv depending on the amount).

Was your OG off?

EDIT: nvm, it was all answered, sounds like you have a plan. Go for it, it will turn out great!

You can even do as Yooper says to do with it, but wait until the ferment is just starting to slow down, then add the sugar syrup to the fermenter.

Back