Choosing Omron Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stamandster

Reaction score
I'm new to electric brewing and am trying to figure out which to get to drive my ULD element... it's the Omron E5CN model by one is a 12vdc out SSR (E5CN-Q2MT-500) and the other is a 100-250v (E5CN-R2MT-500) out.

http://www.ia.omron.com/product/family/165/index_spc.html

I know that one could control the SSR but would the other one not need and SSR?

And yes I do know about the Auber models but I think I may be able to get a Omron for a good deal.

Also, does anyone on the top of their head have the thread sizing for the heating elements?

the "100-250v (E5CN-R2MT-500) out" one would need to have its internal relay rated for the full current of the heater, which i can almost guarantee without even looking at the spec sheet, is not the case. you would still need either an external relay or an AC to AC SSR. usually internal relays in temp controllers are rated for somewhere near 3 amps. thats not going to cut it.

the "12vdc out SSR (E5CN-Q2MT-500)" is the one you want to controll an SSR with.

Thanks! that's exactly the information that i needed to know :) much appreciated!

Quickly is there a way to drive a heater element without the PID? Just manual control petentiometer or something?

Thanks! that's exactly the information that i needed to know :) much appreciated!

Quickly is there a way to drive a heater element without the PID? Just manual control petentiometer or something?

Look up "pulse width modulator" or "PWM".

You can build one for just a few dollars and it will let you dial the effective power up and down with the twist of a knob.

You still need an SSR (PWM controls the SSR).

Back