Bru'n Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_potter

Reaction score
I am entering a few of my old brew day notes into Bru'n Water to get a feel for how to use this program and compare the estimated results to my actual measured results. I can't seem to figure out how to enter anything into the desired water profile. It won't alow me to enter any nubers into line 4 at all. I've even tried to copy and paste from the profile chart below. I'm using version 1.9 with the free file opener. I'm starting to wonder if the free file opener is not allowing the program to work properly. Can anyone help a brutha out?

Scroll down to lines 104 - 107 and put your numbers into User Custom (rename it whatever you like), then select your profile from the drop down in line 4.

I don't have a drop down in line 4. Now I'm really starting to think my problem is the free file opener.

OK I figured this out. Free File Opener was not enabling the whole program. I wasn't getting any of the drop downs or the red triangles with the instructions. No wonder I thought this was a pain. I'm rolling now with OpenOffice. Thanks anyway.

Open Office works, but I've recently found that LibreOffice works even better. It does present the program more like I see when using Excel 2007. I posted the link to LibreOffice at the Bru'n Water download site and even dropped the mention of Open Office.

Sorry you had difficulty with the program.

No problem Martin. I like the program alot. I just entered in all my notes from a strong ale I did a few months ago. My actual measured mash pH was 5.39. Your program estimated mash pH was 5.41. I'm impressed. :rockin:

I will still be measuring the crap out of everything with my pH meter. I also know that you can't base much on a sample of one. My water dept. gave me ranges for all parameters so I'm using averages on anything I can't measure at home so I wasn't expecting to be pinpoint accurate. Still, predicted alot closer than anything else i've used. I'm just playing around with it at this point. It is a very good program and is actually pretty fun to use once I got the right software to run it. I'm doing a Kolsch and an Alt for my next two brews. Looking forward to using it.

Back