Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpowell111

Reaction score
I would like to add Vanilla extract to half of my batch of Porter.

My plan is to add the extract at the time of bottling. I would like to ask if anyone has done this? If so how much vanilla did you add to the approximately 2.5 gallons?

Did this work for you?

thanks
jeff

I'm not really answering your question but, I've had a few bad experiences with adding extracts. They usually leave a medicine aftertaste. I've read a few posts about vanilla porters on here where they soaked a few vanilla beans in vodka overnight, sliced the beans open, and added to a secondary for a week or so and had good results. It could just be that I've used cheap extracts from Walmart in my beer.

I would do what bdupree suggested but on a small scale. Soak some in vodka overnight that are split open and add a few drops at a time to a few ounces of beer until you hit a flavor that you like. Then, based on how much you've added to the few ounces, multiply that out to your total volume. Kind of a ball park estimate, but it should work. With vanilla, it is easy to add too much. I've never had a good vanilla porter yet because there was too much vanilla added. Go small; you can always add more to your next batch.

Not meaning to bump this from the grave, but I just popped a few bottles of a vanilla baltic porter I attempted that I OBVIOUSLY used too much vanilla in. 4 ounces of pure vanilla extract into a 5 gallon batch.

Holy vanilla jesus. Not sure how to save it (or if it's even save-able.)

That vanilla taste usually becomes less intense over time.

+1 on useing the bean. I typically use just 1 large vanilla bean for 5 gallons, for a half batch I'd use half a bean. 1 bean gives just the most very subtle hint of vanilla after 1 week. In my exsperiance. By the way Im no exspert either. This is just my 2 cents.

I made a winterfest with Coriander, Cardamom, raisins, Agave and Black Pepper. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I added with 10 minutes left in the boil with half the spices) I tried a sip of it when I was bottling and its tasted good. Waiting for Christmas to pop the top from one of the bottles...
I want to do a Vanilla Toffee Brown Ale and was thinking of adding 1-2 whole vanilla beans. Wondering where to get the beans though???

Ive used extract and beans.

For extract, id make my own. Easy to do. Split, scrape, and soak beans and skins in vodka or rum(I prefer rum) for a month, add 1/2 - 1(for half batch) tbls to your secondary.

for whole beans, split scrape and add to secondary, let it sit for a few weeks.

I made a winterfest with Coriander, Cardamom, raisins, Agave and Black Pepper. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I added with 10 minutes left in the boil with half the spices) I tried a sip of it when I was bottling and its tasted good. Waiting for Christmas to pop the top from one of the bottles...
I want to do a Vanilla Toffee Brown Ale and was thinking of adding 1-2 whole vanilla beans. Wondering where to get the beans though???

Should be able to get beans at your local grocery store, though they can be expensive. Upward to $15 for two!!!!

Luckily I can get them here in Cleveland for $4.99 for 3

I made up a 5 gal. batch of a Caramel Cream Ale recipe I found on here (Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale)...

The recipe used 2 oz. Pure Vanilla extract in the primary which I did. Then, at bottling time, I split and scraped two beans into my priming solution which I brought up to simmer and let sit for a good while. I threw the whole husk in the pan with the scrapings too.

It came out really nice without an overwhelming vanilla flavor. But as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as too much vanilla, so....

Latest posts

Back