Funny Smell after Baking Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I just bottled my new IPA and about half way through I smelled one of my 22's. It smelled funny. I don't know really how to describe it. Here's what I did to sanitize. After starting with used clean bottles, I rinsed them again with really hot water and scrubed them with a brush. Then I sealed them with tin foil, put them in the oven for an hour after the temp reached 350 degrees. I did 18 yesterday and 12 today the same way before I bottled. I am wondering if my IPA may be ruined due to poor sanitation?

I doubt that you ruined the batch, but next time I would sanitize with iodophor or even <gasp> bleach.

- magno

magno said:
next time I would sanitize with iodophor or even <gasp> bleach.
...or Star San.

In any case, 350 is much hotter than you really need for sanitizing bottles. 200 would be plenty warm, and you wouldn't have nearly the risk of cracking a bottle from thermal shock when you open the oven.

Did it smell like cat pee? I know this sounds stupid but did it have a sour, kind or hot pee smell to it? I have noticed from making fish sticks (which I do several times a week) that sometimes foil left in the oven has a kind of pungent odor to it...kind of like playing in a litterbox and looking for some "rocks." I just switched to keg but I would just fill a five gallon bucket (not a fermenter to avoid scratching) with an idophor/ water solution, submerge about 7 on the bottom and one laying across the top (22oz). Then take those 8 out and do 8 more. While the next 8 are in, I quickly give a rinse down just to make sure all the idophor is out....then I bought a keg and never looked back. I dont see the reason for the oven if you ask me...and you probably should'nt. Hope it helps.

I have heard of it, I think Glibiddy does it when he's not kegging. It's a perfectly legit way of sanitizing, but you don't want them to get up to 350 degrees.

With that said, Star-San and Iodophor are cheap and easy, and since I need to make a batch of sanitizer on bottling day anyway....

Baking in an oven is an acceptable way to sanitize per Palmer
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

Oven
Dry heat is less effective than steam for sanitizing and sterilizing, but many brewers use it. The best place to do dry heat sterilization is in your oven. To sterilize an item, refer to the following table for temperatures and times required.

Table 3 - Dry Heat SterilizationTemperature
Duration

338°F (170°C)
60 minutes

320°F (160°C)
120 minutes

302°F (150°C)
150 minutes

284°F (140°C)
180 minutes

250°F (121°C)
12 hours (Overnight)

The times indicated begin when the item has reached the indicated temperature. Although the durations seem long, remember this process kills all microorganisms, not just most as in sanitizing. To be sterilized, items need to be heat-proof at the given temperatures. Glass and metal items are prime candidates for heat sterilization.

Some homebrewers bake their bottles using this method and thus always have a supply of clean sterile bottles. The opening of the bottle can be covered with a piece of aluminum foil prior to heating to prevent contamination after cooling and during storage. They will remain sterile indefinitely if kept wrapped.

One note of caution: bottles made of soda lime glass are much more susceptible to thermal shock and breakage than those made of borosilicate glass and should be heated and cooled slowly (e.g. 5 °F per minute). You can assume all beer bottles are made of soda lime glass and that any glassware that says Pyrex or Kimax is made of borosilicate.

It seems to me to be a little ackward and old school:fro: , but it is a rainy-day solution if you were strapped for funds or were snowed in.

I baked all my bottles at 350 for 1.5 hours, seemed to work fine, no weird smell. I didn't put tin foil on until after, but I baked the foil with the bottles to sterilize it too.

edit: I have never made fish sticks...

Don't get them wet while they're hot...
Yeah that's "sterilizing" not "sanitizing" but should work just the same.

I do the bucket of water with sanitizer thingy, never had a problem. Consider a bottle tree, bacteria doesn't go up... neither does dust when your bottles sit between batches.

I always use the oven for sterilizing bottles. To me it seems like the easiest way when you have to do 50 12 oz bottles.

I use a sanitizer solution and drip dry on the dish washer rack. I can fit an entire batch in my dishwasher.
I am considering using the sanitize setting on my dishwasher but that setting is a power hog and it is questionable whether enough water enters the bottle to make sanitizing effective.

Craig

CBBaron said:
I use a sanitizer solution and drip dry on the dish washer rack. I can fit an entire batch in my dishwasher.
I am considering using the sanitize setting on my dishwasher but that setting is a power hog and it is questionable whether enough water enters the bottle to make sanitizing effective.

Craig

It's not the water entering the bottles, but the heat & humidty of the environment.

I use the power, it's much easier than the other methods. Clean bottles into the dishwasher, push the buttons, and hit start. Come back when done and bottle directly from the dishwasher.

8 or 9 batches so far with no problems with contaminated bottles.

I'm probably the only one who uses bleach. But it does take a long time to first clean the bottles with Oxyclean, rinse, soak in bleach, rinse. I've done 12 batches now, and never had a problem.

I'm going to look into the sanitize feature of a dishwasher. Interesting.

Back