Braggot Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
Anyone have a good Braggot recipe? I have 5 pounds of cheap Sam's club honey that I need to put to use and there aren't that many recipes out there...

I've only made one braggot, and its still aging in the bottle, so I don't want to share my recipe since its not exactly 'proven'.

mine was essentially based on an irish red ale recipe, and then I added enough honey to put me well over 10% ABV per the yeast I was using.

a typical mead has anywhere from 2lbs to 3.5lbs of honey per gallon of finished product.
so depending on the gravity of your wort, 5lbs might be just enough for a 5 gallon batch. Definitely enough for a smaller batch.

I've used sam's club honey many times, with positive results.

Here's what I plan on doing. My Daughter wants an apple beer. I bought 1# of Amber Ale DME. I'll use 2# of honey also. Dissolve those in 1 Gal. boiled water. Return to heat. Boil for fifteen minutes. Cool the water in the sink with ice water. Add them to a gallon of 100% apple juice in the fermenter after sanitizing. Top off to 2 gallons. Proof my Ale yeast I bought when I got the DME. Pitch the yeast and agitate, wait three weeks or more. Bottle/prime and set aside for 2-3 weeks. Refrigerate for 48 hrs. minimum and drink. Hope for the best. Kind of a beer/mead/wine. Braggot?

See any problems anyone?

This goes in the fermenter right after I bottle my wheat beer.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Here's what I plan on doing. My Daughter wants an apple beer. I bought 1# of Amber Ale DME. I'll use 2# of honey also. Dissolve those in 1 Gal. boiled water. Return to heat. Boil for fifteen minutes. Cool the water in the sink with ice water. Add them to a gallon of 100% apple juice in the fermenter after sanitizing. Top off to 2 gallons. Proof my Ale yeast I bought when I got the DME. Pitch the yeast and agitate, wait three weeks or more. Bottle/prime and set aside for 2-3 weeks. Refrigerate for 48 hrs. minimum and drink. Hope for the best. Kind of a beer/mead/wine. Braggot?

See any problems anyone?

Oh yeah, I forgot. I plan on using the apple jug for a JAOM mead. Not the bread yeast though. I got the raisins.

See any problems anyone?

what ale yeast? if its a lower attenuating yeast, this is gonna end up very very sweet because there's so much sugar.

It won't be too beer-like without hops. It'd be somewhere between a cyser and a braggot...in the mead family since so much honey is being used.

what ale yeast? if its a lower attenuating yeast, this is gonna end up very very sweet because there's so much sugar.

It won't be too beer-like without hops. It'd be somewhere between a cyser and a braggot...in the mead family since so much honey is being used.

I'm really not sure what to call it.

I have a Nottingham Danstar brewing yeast.
I do have an extra Cote des Blancs Red Star yeast but I thought it might be too wine- like as opposed to beer-like.
I was advised at my local beer supply to not add hops. He did suggest that i use a yeast that would give higher alcohol content.

Not sure what to call it either but it sounds like it might be mighty tasty. We do alot of mead experiments in this house and you have sparked my interest

What do you guys think of taking the cores out of 10lb bag of Apple's sitting them in the over for about 25 minutes at 325degrees Fahrenheit ,then getting running mash water at 153-155 run 8 lbs of malted wheat ,2 lbs of pale 6row ,a quarter pound of peated malt,4lbs of crisp marris otter and a half teaspoon of speedase, then add the cored somewhat baked apples into the mash and really agitated crushing the Apples and such after about 30 minutes but keeping the mash tun around the 153-155 area for 1 1/2 hour then use the fly sparge attachment at the 60 minutes Mark run the mash water back over the top of the grain/apple bed for the remainder of the mash to get my boil water rather clear ,with addition of sparge water and mash water volume( with the Apples being counted into the equation as about 2 litres of additional water) bring up to around not quite 8 and a half gallons , boil time also long around 2 hours a little more a little less more or less boiling it down to 4.5 gallons but adding adding 3 oz fuggle pellets at the 45 minute mark , 3/4 oz of warrior hops and a half oz of hibiscus flowers at the 100 minute mark and about when it's pretty much down to the mark around 5 minutes before flame out adding another 1/4 oz of warrior hops then put it on in the fermenter with the same above mentioned cheap Sam's club all natural honey 5 lb 2 pack and pitching California ale yeast and expect let her sit awhile in a 6 gallon(though the wort + honey should only make not quite 5 gallons) hazelnut wood cask for at least a year before indulging I feel this should bring out a lot of nice flavors in the beer the tanginess of the wheat the sweetness of Apple and honey and yeah I'm thinking this might be my next project after my lightly lactosified ipa I'm gathering supplies for now.any notes I know my wheat to barley ratio is off by a good bit I figure the speedster and long mash time should help and that I don't need the maximum amount of malt sugars from my grain seeing as to the fact I'm going with apples and honey as adjuncts for flavor and sugars , I looked up Apple wheat braggot and this is what came up I need opinions thoughts so on, this lactosified ipa it'll be my 6th brew the first one where I'm really trying to step well outside the box but I feel this one's plan might be flawed though I'm not certain how so, also anyone else feel like mashing longer brings out more flavor from the malt ?

Back