Too much clove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadig39

Reaction score
My first batch is coming along fairly well,but... I used way to much clove. It is clearing up nicely and I have stabilized and back sweetened already. I flavored it with clove ,cinnamon,nutmeg and fresh oranges when I started but all I taste now is clove. Do I make another batch and blend it, or is there a way to diminish or mask the cove.

Pretty much the only way to diminish it is to dilute it somehow (hopefully with another batch) It's only going to get stronger as the other flavors mellow and fade.

It is very easy to over do the cloves. I know because I did it with my first mead. Clove flavors do mellow with time but this will remain a clove mead unless you blend.

Another option but I believe less desirable solution is to add other spices to balance the cloves. This is likely to be an over powering spiced mead so i don't recommend it unless you feel just a little more of the other spices will get the mead where you want it.

Craig

Back