How much of my fruit extract should i use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 12oz of lime extract (2 6oz jars) i made. One with lime zest and grey goose and one with lime peel and grey goose. I have been told to add to bottling bucket before bottling but I do not know how much extract to use for a 5 gallon batch. Does anybody have an idea?

Unfortunately since you made it yourself, it'll be very hard to predict exactly how much you need.

Here's one way to do it though. (Assuming your bottling bucket has a spigot, *or* you have a wine thief, either is fine)

Rack your beer from your secondary into your bottling bucket. Keep the lid mostly covering the bucket to keep all the nasties out. Add.... oh, let's say 1/3 of the first jar of lime essence. (I'm guessing the zest and the peel taste differently, and so you will want a blend. Am I right?)

VERY gently, stir with a well-sanitized spoon. Then draw a small tasting sample. Then add 1/3 of the 2nd jar. Repeat. Then another 1/3 of the first jar. Just keep going till it's where you like it.

Then, once you're happy with the results, add your sterile priming sugar solution, and gently stir one more time. Continue to bottle as usual.

I'm guessing - and this is JUST a guess - that you'll probably use both jars in their entirety. I'm making this guess because 1) 12 oz isn't much vodka, and 2) limes seem to have a very subtle taste, at least as far as their absorbency into a vodka solution. I could be (and probably am!) way off base with this guess.

On the bright side, if you have any left over when you're done... it's Grey Goose! It deserves to be drank! :D

Cheers and good luck!

Unfortunately since you made it yourself, it'll be very hard to predict exactly how much you need.

Here's one way to do it though. (Assuming your bottling bucket has a spigot, *or* you have a wine thief, either is fine)

Rack your beer from your secondary into your bottling bucket. Keep the lid mostly covering the bucket to keep all the nasties out. Add.... oh, let's say 1/3 of the first jar of lime essence. (I'm guessing the zest and the peel taste differently, and so you will want a blend. Am I right?)

VERY gently, stir with a well-sanitized spoon. Then draw a small tasting sample. Then add 1/3 of the 2nd jar. Repeat. Then another 1/3 of the first jar. Just keep going till it's where you like it.

Then, once you're happy with the results, add your sterile priming sugar solution, and gently stir one more time. Continue to bottle as usual.

I'm guessing - and this is JUST a guess - that you'll probably use both jars in their entirety. I'm making this guess because 1) 12 oz isn't much vodka, and 2) limes seem to have a very subtle taste, at least as far as their absorbency into a vodka solution. I could be (and probably am!) way off base with this guess.

On the bright side, if you have any left over when you're done... it's Grey Goose! It deserves to be drank! :D

Cheers and good luck!

aight thanks a bunch...if 12 oz isnt enough i will add some lime juice to it and im sure it will be fine..and yes i want to blend tem

Almost on topic here, I've got an idea for a recipe with bananas. I want it to be noticeable but not overbearing. I was thinking of pouring puree in at the end of the boil and steeping 10-15 mins. Any thoughts?

Not exactly on topic. But that's ok. Just try not to hijack unless it's pretty closely related... We all do it unintentionally from time to time.

If you put it in at the end of the boil, you are going to lose a lot of the flavor and aroma during fermentation, because the CO2 will carry it out of your beer. I would probably ... i dunno.

What if you added some water to the puree (enough to keep it from drying out, not much water) and put it in a pot with a lid.... simmered it at around 180F for 30 minutes on the stove top.... then let it cool to room temp.... scoop it into the bottom of your secondary fermenter with a sanitized spatula...... and then racked your beer on top of it, once fermentation is complete? Then let it age on the banana for 1-2 weeks, then transfer off. You might need a tertiary for clarifying unless it's a cloudy style. Or, if you keg, you could use unflavored gelatin to clarify instead of using a tertiary.

What style is it? Why not just use an estery Hefe yeast that makes banana esters? Or use banana extract? Just a few ideas to get your brain's ideas flowin'.

I'm not sure I'd use the second jar (the one with the peel) because pith is a very bitter unpleasant taste. If you need more lime flavor, maybe try using it, but I'd mix it with regular beer first.

Back