Anyone brewed "Brewer's Best" Whisky Barrel Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got that kit from a local brew supply store that open recently. I just brewed it last night. Did you add any whiskey to your or soak the wood chips in whiskey? I was thinking of doing that but I'm not sure how much to add, I've seen any where from a 750 ml bottle to just a couple ounces

I did not. The beer turned out really well. However, I really don't taste the Whisky, so I guess you could add some. I left the chips in for 3 wks not 4, so maybe that would make a difference.

Finally got around to bottling this beer after sitting in the secondary on the wood chips/ 6 oz of whiskey for a month. It will be interesting to see how the flavors change/develop as time goes by and the beer ages. I tried a sample as I was bottling and it is a very strong whiskey flavor

I'm going to do something similar with a dark ale recipe I came up with. 4oz of medium roast French oak chips with 3-4 jiggers of 8 year old Beam's Black. Put whiskey /chips in sealed container in the fridge when I pitch on the dark ale.
Finish fermentation on the dark ale,then rack to secondary. Hold open hop sack over surface of beer,& pour all through the hop sack so as to contain the chips. I don't want small chips getting into a bottle. Then let it sit for maybe 2 weeks. I thought maybe the larger amount of soaked chips would go quicker.

I brewed this a few months ago. It turned out very nice with good charactor. I added 1 cup of whiskey to soak/ sanatize the wood chips before going in the secondary. What I noticed after 2 weeks in the secondary was a smooth stout with a slight wood/ whiskey after taste. I only have a few left but those ones actually got to age and they are exceptionally smooth, my sugestion if you have the patience (I dont) is to age them at least 30 days after bottling/ kegging.

on another note I am on a quest to find an all grain version of this.

My whiskely ale has been in the bottles 31 days now, Tried a few with the wife @ 22 days in & had a smooth bourbon flavor,with some roastiness in there. Not much carbonation yet,minimal head @ 22 days. Maybe try it again @ the end of this month.

I first tried mine after a month in the bottle, I didn't like it too much. It had too much of the wood flavor. But now after two months it tastes real good and is turning into quite a good beer. I plan on setting aside at least a six pack to see how the beer ages and the flavors change

Hi all-

Can somebody help me out with this brew? I just picked up the kit, but it only comes with the standard (generic) instructions and I have no idea when to add each of the grains and the wood chips! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Kegged this a couple of weeks ago. It's one of my favorites of any BB recipe I've done.

I bottled this 2 weeks ago today, might have to open up the 1st one after this post. Put oak chips in 6oz of Maker's and let soak for 2 weeks and then added bourbon and chips to secondary after 2 weeks in primary. Was in the secondary for 3 weeks. Took a sampling at bottling and could taste the bourbon. Brewing partner wants to add more bourbon next time but he is a bourbon drinker.

I added my chips to ???oz of green label Jack. Left through the whole brew and fermentation. Decanted and added to secondary. It is still one of my best brews. You can't lose with this BB kit.

(I DID save the "decanted" Jack to drink at a later date. YES, it was rough, but YES it was good!)

I just drank my last bottle of this after a little over two years in the bottle(had a few hidden away at my parents house), and it was very good a smooth. I will Be making this again as it seems to just get better as it ages

As someone who likes bourbon, what would be the recommended amount of bourbon to add to the secondary? I definitely want to taste the bourbon, but I don't necessarily want to disgust the non-bourbon drinkers I'll be sharing this with though.

I'm not sure about adding it straight to secondary. I might have to try that next time. I think I was the only one that even tasted it. Probably because I knew it was there. Definitely a good brew.

I soaked my wood chips in 6 onces of scotch for a week or two then dumped all of it into the secondary and then transferred the beer on top of it. It had a good subtle scotch flavor after a few months in the bottle after the woodiness subsidized

Kegged this a couple of weeks ago. It's one of my favorites of any BB recipe I've done.

What temp and pressure did you carb it at? This is my first brew and I went straight to kegging so I am a complete noob. I have had it at 12psi at 41* for a couple weeks and it is pretty good tasting but I think the mouth feel is a little thin. It has gotten better over the last week so I am thinking it is a carbonation issue and not a mistake during the brew.

What temp and pressure did you carb it at? This is my first brew and I went straight to kegging so I am a complete noob. I have had it at 12psi at 41* for a couple weeks and it is pretty good tasting but I think the mouth feel is a little thin. It has gotten better over the last week so I am thinking it is a carbonation issue and not a mistake during the brew.

41° @ 11psi, if I remember correctly. It's funny you posted, I brewed this again yesterday.

Well,with my batch,it took 1 day shy of 10 weeks in the bottles to condition properly. Next time,I'll use only about 2oz of chips with 2-3 jiggers of bourbon instead of the 5 jiggers used this time. After 8 days in secondary,the bourbon/oak flavor was stronger than I would've liked for a good malt/bourbon/hop balance. I'm thinking the one NZ hop that gives the iak & blackberry flavor might be good in this one.

Back