Dry hopping AND late additions in SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a SMaSH with some Challenger hops and Pilsner Malt. (It's essentially a clone of Double Mountain's Vaporizer IPA.) Since it's going to be a rather hoppy beer so I decided on doing a bunch of late additions, but I figured I could also do some dry hopping with the Challengers. My only fear is that with this much late hopping followed by the dry hopping I might run the risk of getting a rather vegetal note especially since I am only using pilsner malt and there isn't anything else that might mask the flavor. I am just wondering if I'm being too cautious or if I should just go ahead with it...

Recipe below:

"The Continental"

3 gallon batch

7lbs 12oz German Pilsner Malt

.5 oz 45 mins Challenger 6.5 aau
.5 oz 30 mins Challenger 6.5 aau
.5 oz 15 mins Challenger 6.5 aau
.5 oz 10 mins Challenger 6.5 aau
.5 oz 5 mins Challenger 6.5 aau
1.0 oz 1 min Challenger 6.5 aau
1.0 oz 10 days Challenger 6.5 aau

Yeast: Starter from leftover Wyeast Abbey Ale II

Target OG: 1.064
Target IBUs: 60

I think you're worrying too much. Plenty of excellent recipes have late additions. I made a SMaSH with domestic pale ale malt and cascade with very similar numbers and it was wonderful.

Ought to be interesting with the Abbey II!

Like 944 says, run with it, No worries. I find late additions to be different than dry hopping. Different layers. Your usage looks like something I have done.

Back