Brandon O's graf trub bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
I took 1 cup of the sediment and added 1 cup flour and 1 cup water and let it ferment overnight.

Next day, threw out 1/2 and added 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and let it ferment 24 hours.

Next day, threw out 1/2 and added 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and let it ferment 24 hours.

Next day, it was frothy, cidery smelling and very liquid so I just added 1/2 cup flour.

Next day added 1/2 cup flour.

Next day it was very clean, although colored slightly by the trub, cidery smelling and the texture of a thick waffle batter. I took 2 cups of this and added:

14 ounces bread flour
7 ounces water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast (I did this because much of the reading I did suggested poor rise with yeast from the sediment alone)

Knead with a paddle then bread hook using a kitchenaid mixer. It's a very sticky dough. Spray with oil and let rise overnight in the refrigerator.

Take out in the morning and go to work. Come home and fold the dough while the oven preheats to 500 deg F. Divide into two and line a baguette mold with water soaked parchment paper. Shape and let rise in the baguette mold for 1/2 hour - hour or so.

Slash, place in oven and turn the heat down to 425 deg F. Bake for 1/2 hour or until the internal temp is 200 - 210 deg F.

This makes 2 tasty baguettes with great flavor, although they really tasted like my regular baguette. The only difference was the aroma while baking was definitely cidery and beery. These aromas really did not carry through to the taste of the final bread however.

Fun experiment, will probably not bother to repeat.

1 tsp instant yeast (I did this because much of the reading I did suggested poor rise with yeast from the sediment alone)

Dont use the bread yeast and you will get a very nice, yeasty fruity flavor to the bread. Just give it a 12-16 hour rise, and hit it with steam in the oven. I made a starter like you did, but kept half (like a sour dough) and it still rises well

Thanks. I wondered if the breast yeast would overpower the cider/beer yeast. I used Nottingham for this by the way. I'll probably try it again, but without the bread yeast.

Latest posts

Back