Getting higher gravity readings then anticipating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBeam-

Reaction score
Hi,

I have brewed a total of 3 times now and each time the gravity readings are coming in higher than I anticipated.

For my last batch, I brewed an old blind pig clone recipe from morebeer. I used 9 lbs. Ultralight, 1 lb. Bavarian Wheat, .5 lb. Carapils, and
.5 lb. Crystal 40L for a 5 gallon batch.

My OG showed 1.085 at 75 degrees. The recipe says I should expect 1.066 - 1.07

My other 2 batches were a california common and i was expecting a low 1.05 range and got a 1.58 ajusted to almost 1.6 with temp.

My question is what am I doing wrong. I strain the wort into the primarty after it has cooled and shake it up really good. I had to top it off with about a gallon of cold water. I notice when I take samples there is alot of sediment from hops. Could that be causing my higher OG readings??

Are you sure you're getting a full 5 gallons to the fermentor? Even getting 4.5 to the ferm would result in higher readings.

Also, are you certain the kit is for 5 gallons, and not 5.5 or 6. I've never done a morebeer kit, so I don't know. I know that most extract kits are pretty spot on with their OG's, usually within 1 or 2 points.

You have to mix the top up water real well with the wort. With extract brews the OG should be really close if you have the amount of beer specified in the recipe.

Ya, something must be jacked with the way I am reading it or something. I just used this calculator http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html and it says 1.076 should be max. Something isn't right with the reading I am guessing. I just dont see hows its possible. Anyway, Im not going to worry too much about it.. was just wondering if something else would cause it. I mixed it up really good to get a good get some oxygen in there.

OK.. Im a noob. I was reading the balling scale. Its was actually 1.072 at 75 degrees.. which I think leaves me around 1.074..

Thanks for your help. Sorry to waste your time.

Back