Kegging some/Bottling some from same batch - Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastido

Reaction score
The next batch (5 gal) I brew I would like to be able to keg and bottle some. Can someone tell me the best way to be able to do this? How can I prime the amount for the bottles and keep it sanitary/not over-underprime?

I'm making a Double Bastard, or Bastard and a half, looking at the ingredients, and would like to send a few bottles to my brother.

I don't want to prime the kegged amount, as I'm going to force carbonate. Any ideas???

You guys were right, this is addicting!! Only three months, and this is all I think about!!! BTW this is my first partial mash! Wish me good fortune!

Thanks!

Siphon however many gallons you want to keg into the keg. force carb it.

use an online calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar to add, then bottle the rest.

its helpful if your bottling bucket has gallon marks on it.

Ok, I might try that.

One question...Has anyone ever bottled and not used priming sugar? How long would this take to carbonate naturally???

Ok, I might try that.

One question...Has anyone ever bottled and not used priming sugar? How long would this take to carbonate naturally???

If you don't prime, it won't carbonate. Unless you bottle before it's done fermenting, which is a guessing game as to how much carbonation you'll get and you can end up with bottle bombs.

You can always just carb the whole batch in the keg and then bottle from the tap using one of several methods, including the BMBF. Bottled carbed beer and no sediment.

1oz priming sugar per gallon.

if you're only going to so 6-12 seriously think about tabs or just using the keg to bottle directions.

You could also get a counter-pressure filler or the blichmann beer gun to fill the bottles directly from the keg after it's carbonated.

You could just use priming sugar in the whole batch. I just kegged for the first time as well, and I used priming sugar in the keg. (I did this cus i have 2 kegs running off same regulator so when one runs out, i can just throw in the next and don't have to worry about getting the right pressure.)

I if you used priming sugar like normal and let it mix, you could just bottle some and put the rest in the keg.

Can you only half fill the keg and still force carbonate? How do you purge all the O2?

Back