CO2 leak from new regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a double gauge regulator. soon after i realized having two kegs i wanted to do dual regulators. I called my LHBS where I got the single and asked if i could return it...well the guy I spoke with said that I didnt need to return it, I could just attach a single regulator in the middle to make a dual. so....it got here today and i did so. everything is tight. when i hook up the gas and turn it on, there is what I can only assume to be, gas coming from the two holes on the back of the regulator...not sure what those are for. Is this a malfunction or have I done something wrong?

TIA,

M

You'll have to tell us what make of regulator you have.

There are NO holes on the back of a Cornelius REGULATOR (which is what I'm familiar with)... The only hole on a Cornelius regulator (other than threaded ports, which are filled with gauges/or connectors) is a small weep hole on the front cover.

If gas comes out of the weep hole when you're not adjusting the regulator to a lesser pressure setting...it's a leak from the high pressure side to the low pressure side. It could be a bad valve seat/poppet valve/or seal in the threaded seat insert.

If you can tell us what brand...I can search for a schematic to see how it's put together and talk you through the trouble shooting.

I hope you used teflon tape on all the new connections you made when you inserted the single in your rig...

There are NO holes on the back of a Cornelius REGULATOR (which is what I'm familiar with)... The only hole on a Cornelius regulator (other than threaded ports, which are filled with gauges/or connectors) is a small weep hole on the front cover.

If gas comes out of the weep hole when you're not adjusting the regulator to a lesser pressure setting...it's a leak from the high pressure side to the low pressure side. It could be a bad valve seat/poppet valve/or seal in the threaded seat insert.

If you can tell us what brand...I can search for a schematic to see how it's put together and talk you through the trouble shooting.

I hope you used teflon tape on all the new connections you made when you inserted the single in your rig...

THanks for your reply. They are micromatic regulators...and here are a few pics.

regulators.jpg

regulators_hole.jpg

and teflon tape was used for the connections. they are brand new...but, i guess that doesnt mean much!

TIA,

M

That's where they put the overpressure relief valve. It's designed to open if the regulator malfunctions to relieve excess pressure so you don't damage equipment downline.

What Low pressure reading are you getting with the gas on?

If it's up around the upper limit...the relief valve could be doing what it's supposed to do. Set a lower pressure.

If it's not up around the upper limit...the it's come un-seated. Let me try to find a schematic to see if it's something you can get to. If it's not accessible...you might be able to crank the pressure up...and let if blow out any debris in the seat...and let it reset. It's usually a sping loaded check vavle set to go off at a certain limit. They're located on the side of most regulators.

Okay...here goes.

Your Regulator looks like a TapRite-Fassco Regulator...with Micromatic Gauges on it.

They make regulator bodies with the safety relief on the side...and on the back. Since your's is on the back...I found this schematic. It's for a Higher pressure regulator used in the Soft Drink business...but the parts may be the same.

Make sure the REGULATOR is not fastened to the CO2 bottle when you proceed!! You can get hurt taking apart a regulator if it's under pressure.

Refer to the schematic...and look at parts 9, 10, 11, 12... You can remove these from the back of the regulator. Make sure the seating surfaces are clean...and reassemble. Hopefully there aren't any parts missing from somebody else screwing around with it before you got it.

Anyway...that's where I would start...and if a cursory take apart, clean, reassemble doesn't fix the relief valve/or if it's missing parts...go back to your LHBS shop for a swap.

Hope that helps get your regulator fixed up...

Charlie

Taprite-Fassco

That's where they put the overpressure relief valve. It's designed to open if the regulator malfunctions to relieve excess pressure so you don't damage equipment downline.

What Low pressure reading are you getting with the gas on?

If it's up around the upper limit...the relief valve could be doing what it's supposed to do. Set a lower pressure.

If it's not up around the upper limit...the it's come un-seated. Let me try to find a schematic to see if it's something you can get to. If it's not accessible...you might be able to crank the pressure up...and let if blow out any debris in the seat...and let it reset. It's usually a sping loaded check vavle set to go off at a certain limit. They're located on the side of most regulators.

ok....I think this may be my fault. After posting I went back and checked the fittings...and I believe that the side of the nipple on the single regulator had been loosened when i tried to get the it attached. I added more thread tape and put it all back together and......no leaks, from what i can tell.

Thank you so much for helping me, my apologies for it being my stupidity!

No problems at all...glad to help...even if I didn't really.

You'll have some cool diagrams for when your regulator does start acting up eventually.

Enjoy the two products flowing smoothly! :)

I have a Cornelius that has gas leaking out the weep hole. I installed a rebuild kit and it slowed down the leak. I did not notice the leak but then my take was empty. Got a new tank and it was leaking very fast. now with the rebuild it is slower. What could it be?

Back