About this Two Hearted Clone I just made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I just uncapped a 2H clone that I brewed up and this one came out very nice. Color is a bit off, but the taste is very close. I used harvested yeast for this. Anyway, I notice that my beer is a bit more syrupy than the real thing while doing a side by side. I hit all my gravities and efficiency was around 73%. What would cause the syrupy mouth feel? Thanks in advance.

10 lbs. 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna
.5 lbs. Carapils/Dextrine
.5 lbs. Caramel Crystal 20L
1.00 oz Centennial (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Centennial (15 min) Hops / Irish moss – 1 tsp.
1.00 oz Centennial (5 min) Hops
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min) Hops

OG 1.062
FG 1.012

I think that makes attenuation somewhere around 80%

I wonder if you mashed at a higher temperature? Of course, with a FG of 1.012, it's not really a problem of unfermentable wort, but I'm trying to guess why it feels syrupy to you. Maybe the carapils gave the brew too much body?

Carbonation has an effect on mouthfeel too. Maybe a little less carbonated than 2HA?

Carbonation has an effect on mouthfeel too. Maybe a little less carbonated than 2HA?

This was my guess too. What temp did you finish fermentation at and how much priming sugar did you use? Also, how long was it cold conditioned prior to drinking?

Unfortunately I didn't keep record of the fermentation temp. I think it was 70 or below since I cooked this up early this year and my basement stays cool during the colder weather. For priming I used 4.2 oz. Cold conditioned for about a week. That may be the culprit since I came in a little under 5 gallons and never really adjusted the primer for that. One of those "D'oh" moments after I primed. Still, I'm enjoying this brew on the patio right now to a Reds (we'll take what we can get) game on the radio.

Actually, if your volume came in a little short and you used the amount of priming sugar you were going to use for a larger volume of beer, that'd cause the mouthfeel to be a little thinner, not thicker. More carbonation = thinner mouthfeel.

Well if you primed 5 gallons @ 70F then 4.2oz of corn sugar would give you 2.4 volumes of CO2 which is well within the style but 2H does seem very carbed to me. I carb me beers to 2.4 volumes and 2H seems much much fizzier than mine. Does anyone have a better idea of how many volumes 2H has?

I don't know... I'm drinking a Two-Hearted Ale right now and it seems to be pretty close to 2.4. I wouldn't call it super carbed. I carbed my Amarillo IPA to 2.4 and it's about as fizzy as this bottle of Two-Hearted.

Weird, and I just killed a six pack of it off a few days ago and every time I poured one, I could only get about 10 oz into the pint glass before having to pause in the pour and let the head dissipate.

Back